223 target rifle ?

geneinnc

I am wanting to find a 223 to use in 100 to 300 yards matches. I know there are better choices, but I have a twice repaired shoulder, and I'm fully set up to load for 223.

I really like the Remington short barreled tactical with the over molded stock.
everyone around here shoots .5 MOA.

The problem is the 1/9 twist. That will limit my bullet weight. All of the heavy bullets call for 1/7 or 1/8 twist.

Does anyone make a bolt action with that fast twist rate? I want to keep it stock so I don't have to go into the open class.

I'm I stuck with going to an AR target upper? (not like that is a bad option)

Thanks

Gene

I am wanting to find a 223 to use in 100 to 300 yards matches. I know there are better choices, but I have a twice repaired shoulder, and I'm fully set up to load for 223.
Gene

Just one question if I may, how heavy a bullet do you need for 100 to 300 yards?
I have a DPMS HBAR 20" with a 1-9 twist. It sends 60 gr, Sierra's @ 3300 easily, and shoots bug holes. Still supersonic at 300. I totally get 80 gr.ers at 600 yds. But for 200 and 300 yds my 60's do great. :)

JM 0.2

Ditto bountyhunter's comment. I have a Model 12 LRPV .223 with 7 twist. Added an adjustable cheek weld. Plink around with off the shelf 55 grains, but for accuracy shoot 77 grain and 80 grain. Bushnell 6500.

Mine is the single shot single port.

VarmintAugs

Sounds like the Savage LRPV is the ticket. You get and Target action, heavy barrel, HS precision stock, and all the accuracy you can muster from a box. That's what I would do if I had the money.

Tank

The Savage LRPV is a great idea as mentioned above. I own an SPS Tactical like the one you said you liked. I never shot it with the Hogue stock, but it averages .543 for the load that it likes best with 69gr SMKs. That load has more than enough behind it to get it well past 600yds. After about 800 though I'd start to worry about the round going transonic.

thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to try & find a Tikka T3 Varmint with a 1/8" twist.

I would love to find the disc. Super Varmint. It has adjustable comb & LOP

The SS or blued one might have to do.

I got a great deal on a Leupold 6.5 x 20 taget turret scope today, fine line target dot reticle. Like new for $450.

THANKS!

Do you reload ? what length is you'r barrel? chamber? case length? wall? neck? case cap? A factory SAMMI barrel should give you 1 MOA with factory ammo from Rem. or I would send it back. A 1/9 should eat 45 to 65grs. and be fairly proficient. A 1/8 should take care of 55 to 70 grs. and really make the 68,s shine,Out to 400M. A 1/7 Mil-Spec runs short on the 62gr. but the 70s to the 80gr really start making the accuracy again, out to 600+ M

I really like the Remington short barreled tactical with the over molded stock.
everyone around here shoots .5 MOA.

The problem is the 1/9 twist. That will limit my bullet weight. All of the heavy bullets call for 1/7 or 1/8 twist.

Does anyone make a bolt action with that fast twist rate? I want to keep it stock so I don't have to go into the open class.

I'm I stuck with going to an AR target upper? (not like that is a bad option)

Thanks

Gene

A 1 in 9 will work well with 70 grain bullets and down. and at 300 to 600 you don't need any
more bullet than that.

There are a lot of good bullets from 52 gr to 65 grain that will work at 3 and 400 yd ranges
and out to 600 yards the 65 to 70 grain bullets will work if you do shoot 600 yards.

And if you get a 1 in 9 it won't be to fast for the lightest bullets (37 to 50gr) if you wan't to
hunt varmints.

Most of the time if you pillar bed and work up loads factory rifles can be made to shoot well.

J E CUSTOM

You can do that with a standard off the shelf 24" varmint barreled AR from anyone one of the major manufacturers without having too do alot of custom work too the gun and you can get it pretty much in either 1x8 or 1x9 twist. With the right handloads.....i've seen them shoot well under a 1/2 MOA.

very cool that you looked into the tikkas i was just going to recommend one from what ive heard. im looking into getting the super varmint in 223 with the 1:8" twist. i think ill top it with a bushnell elite 4200 tactical6-24x50. also looking into muzzle brakes just for the heck of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.