.223 Seating Depth

james blond

Im keen to try some 69 grain sierra match kings in my 1/9 twist Remmy XCR (for longer range vermin over the blustery winter)

To date iv been using 50 grain nosler ballistic tips- rocket fuel @ 3400ft.ps

Obviously there's quite a difference in length of bullet, do i seat it with the same die as the Nosler- i.e push the bullet a long way into the case or is it ok to seat it further out???

I presume you seat it further out when its loaded into the breech the bullet will seat further into the rifling but can someone drop me some experienced advice....

Also does anyone know some heavier ballistic out there for the .223, solids aren't ideal for vermin in my mind- ricochets etc....

The 69 SMK performs best with around .030 jump to the rifling. If you have the Stony Point setup, you can measue the length to do that. Your rifle may or may not like this bullet.

Cheers for this- looks like i need to get a 'Stony Point' depth gauge / setup device then.

Not used one before, just used vernier gauge and set it up on factory rounds then mirrored the seating depth on my re-loads

It would be safe to do it as you indicated, but this bullet may be more accurate with slightly longer OAL. I mostly shoot these out of an AR 15, so the magazine determines the OAL for me.

i think i will just experiment with 5 bullets @ different depths @ 200 yards and see how they perform-

Seems to be a trial and error thing :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts