.223 round choice.

bigben

Allright just starting out and am looking for something a little different. I have just recently bought a tikka m595 in the .223 caliber. What I am wondering what is a good choice for over the counter ammo. The gun dealler said that black hills ammo was good but have bought a couple different kinds to try. What I have know is, Black hills 55gr soft point, Black hills 52gr match hollow points(moly coated), and hornady 40gr v-max. what I am looking for is what is the best load for this gun. Also what is the difference between the moly coat ed one other then just the moly.

My 223 rifles, bolt & AR's, all shoot Winchester USA 45gr HP ammo well. Black Hills blue box (reloads) 223s are very good too. Depending on what your accuracy needs are, 223 rifles are generally pretty accurate if the bullet matches the twist. Your rifle will tell you what it likes best. I don't use moly bullets, but don't believe there is any difference in the BH loads other than the moly. Good luck ... Mike

Hey--

Moly coated stands for "Molybdenum disulfide" and it is supposed to prevent your barrel from fouling so quickly and it is supposed to be a "lubricant", therefore it will to function both in the barrel to reduce wear, ie a lubricant normally does that and some also feel it works ballistically as well, while the bullet is on its way to the target. You will hear many argue about the advantages of moly coated verses NOT moly coated bullets. I have used both, and quite frankly I have NOT observed a difference, but what the H E double hockey sticks do I know.

Anyway, your Tikka has a fast twist and is supposed to love heavier grain bullets than what you bought but hey try them and maybe your tikka will like them. My off the cuff recommendation would be to try 65 grain in your Tikka. I have a Reminton 223 with a 1 in 12 twist and I shoot the Black Hills in 52 and 55 grain and it LOVES them... yum yum. I can shoot at 50 yards up to 200 without moving the scope settings, yes it is that flat!! I don't know about 300 yards yet. I would guess I will have to adjust but I like what I have seen so far from my Black Hills ammo, and I hope you do too. The 55 grain should work a bit better for you because I think you have a 1 in 9 twist. 65 gr or higher are supposed to be better for that twist. I hope this info helps... and have fUn!

[ 11-23-2004: Message edited by: Yogi ]

My Remmington VS 700 .223 seems to prefer Remmington Accutip 50gr it is a ballistic tip with a boattail - hits rabbits out to 450 paces - and odd shots longer than only seem to have missed because of my range estimation.
It is explosive on rabbits at short range and can still can take out a kanagroo at 400 yards

I found the winchester 45 grain hollow point good to 100m but at 350 it really opened up and could not hit the rabbits.A learning for me that what worked at short range may not work at longer range

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.