223 Rem where would you start?

njc89

I am starting to reload for a bolt action Kimber 223 with 24" 1:9 barrel. I will be loading 65 grain Sierra GK and 69 grain Sierra tipped MK's. I have Varget, H335, and CFE223. Which would you start with? I was leaning Varget for decent velocity and temp sensitivity with these "heavier" bullets. Thoughts?

I am in the process of acquiring a new 223 Rem Bolt rifle and have a pretty good set up as far as primers, bullets and powders. I originally wanted to go with CFE223 since it gives the highest velocites with the heavier bullets but all I could find is A2520 which is right behind CFE223.

Looking at the Sierra app both Varget and H335 start to show preasure at around 2,880 fps with the 69gr TMK, and CFE223 at around 3,030 fps. 150 fps is quite a difference therefore I'd start with CFE223.

Stay safe

I am starting to reload for a bolt action Kimber 223 with 24" 1:9 barrel. I will be loading 65 grain Sierra GK and 69 grain Sierra tipped MK's. I have Varget, H335, and CFE223. Which would you start with? I was leaning Varget for decent velocity and temp sensitivity with these "heavier" bullets. Thoughts?
Don't complicate it unnecessarily; pick one and go from there.

The 223 is one of those "inherently" accurate cartridges that's easy to load for. Popcorn please FEENIX ;)
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I'd say since components are scarce, and it's your money try loading some rounds with your original idea. If they don't work out then you have some good options to experiment with. I see nothing "wrong" with you options or ideas. Good luck and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.