223 Rem AI vs 22-250 for varmints

I am working up loads now for the 22-204 Ruger, velocity is 100 fps in some loads better than the 223 s that I have, feeds like a dream in 700's.

Been PD shootin for 10 years, or maybe more. You can ruin a barrel out there with hot running rounds. My favs are the 20 Tactical, 20 PPC, 223A.I. and the 17WSM. Also take along a 6 Creed for those way off shots. But under 400, which is where you will get the most shots, it's hard to beat the small numbers. More fun, less barrel wear. I think yotes at 400 will not like them either.😁

Since you already also have the bolt head for the .22-250, I'd go that way for 'yotes at long range (with a 1:12 or faster twist barrel, of course); plus, I'd rather be able to use factory .22-250 rounds than .223 if I ran out of handloads.
Also, with that bolt face, you could go right up to a .243, .308 etc. barrel later, if desired.
I second that post. For ground hogs or coyotes barrel heat build is not really an issue, so for east coaster's the 22-250 is real hard to beat, especially at long range. 22CM is also starting to get a following as well. Dave

I went with the 22-250 AI a couple years back - haven't shot it as much as I'd like, but it's a great round. If I could do it over again, would definitely chamber a 22 Creedmoor. Slightly more case capacity than the 22-250 AI, and a LOT of load data (especially with the heavies).

For p-dogs and the occasional coyote, I think the 223 AI would be great for less barrel wear, powder consumption, etc. My 223 launching 40 gr varmageddons at 3600 sure made a mess out of plenty of rockchucks.

It depends on what bolt face you have now like others have suggested. I've had experience with both cartridges. I have loaded and shot a few 22-250s but only one .223 AI. All of the 22-250s were slow twists with 50-55gr bullets in the 3650-3800fps range. Very flat shooting and drops varmints on the spot. My cousin built a custom .223 Ackley with an 8 twist Krieger and it's an awesome little rifle. He's pushing 75 ELDs at 3000fps using Varget in Lapua brass and it's amazing. We've made hits out to 700 yards on a deer's vitals sized steel plate and every range in between. Both cartridges are great choices. If I just wanted a plinker and a fun Varmint rifle, I'd do a .223 Ackley. It's cheap to shoot and deadly.

I have a standard 223 and a 22-250. I like them both but prefer my 223. Not trying to Jack the thread, but how much difference between 223 and 223ai. How bout 224 valkerie, not very familiar with it,does it split the difference?

I have a standard 223 and a 22-250. I like them both but prefer my 223. Not trying to Jack the thread, but how much difference between 223 and 223ai. How bout 224 valkerie, not very familiar with it,does it split the difference?
I like my standard 223 and 22-250, but I don't like trimming every 2nd sizing. Which is why I thought of going to an 223 AI bolt rifle. Still high volume and less trimming. A bit more velocity too.

22 creed has more internal capacity than a 22/250 AI? 40* vs 30* shoulders will give a little more room on the AI, and the shoulder dia on the AI is larger than the Creed. The AI has less body taper. They are kissing cousins for sure, and no forming with the Creed.

For Eastern Chucks, the 22 Creed or the 22/250 AI with 60g Bergers will sure get those chucks flying!

I like my standard 223 and 22-250, but I don't like trimming every 2nd sizing. Which is why I thought of going to an 223 AI bolt rifle. Still high volume and less trimming. A bit more velocity too.

If you are trimming every 2nd sizing for a varmint bolt rifle, it's not the cartridge, it's your sizing technique.

Over sizing causes stretching, which causes the need to trim.

If you are trimming every 2nd sizing for a varmint bolt rifle, it's not the cartridge, it's your sizing technique.

Over sizing causes stretching, which causes the need to trim.
The trimming is on my AR15 using Federal brass I got for free. The 22-250 I partial FL sized. I can't remember how often I trimmed so it wasn't an issue.

I use 223,1/9 223 AI,1/7 22-250 1/9, 1/12 22-250 AI 1/8, 220 Swift,1/12 Swift AI 1/8 and my favorite is the 17 Hornet. I swage all of my own bullets from 22 LR Brass and J4 jackets and Hines jackets. I also coat them with boron nitrate.

I'm thinking of converting my varmint rifle to either the 223 Rem AI or 22-250. I hand load and have both bolt heads so all I need is the barrel..Which is better or PDs or yotes out to 500 yards?
It's not the best, because it's what I use, but I wouldn't sell my .22-250! I shoot targets instead of critters & my last targets were 607 yards with the only ammo I use; Hornady 50 grain sent at 4000 fps. JMO....everybody has one.

Back in the day I used to bother yotes and pd's a lot. I'd take 40-55 yotes a winter, calling come what may etc. I find them to be a fairly small target and hitting them well past 300 takes a bit of work. Often times things are moving fast (IE not tons of time to set for the shot), and some of the hits aren't exactly spot on. With that in mind personally I feel that there are mucho better rounds for yotes than the 22's. For serious work I jump right to the 6's!

Between the 223 Ack and the 22/250 on PD's it's slam dunk the 223 ACK. Reason being, most serious pd shooting is sub 300 yards, so no need for all the horse power of the '250. Again this is my opinion (and experience) the reason to go with the Ack is to reduce trimming. I despise trimming and would rather be shooting.

Lastly, and this is my opinion again but speed is Not the reason to go Ack, though you will hear some awfully spiffy speed numbers coming from that crowd often. Real world you'll pick up 50-100 fps at max and that's the end of sanity. But, real world you'll hear much more of that. Course those loads have never been pressure tested...:)

Like other mentioned this may well just be a bolt face issue and that'll be your deciding factor.

Roughly how many rounds a year do you shoot at pd's and yotes presently?

Life's short, hunt hard!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.