223 pss rechambering

ohnomrbillk

I know that this is quite a open question, but I am looking for suggestions. I recently obtained a 223 pss for a song and dance, and would like to rechamber it to something that shoots a little flatter. I was thinking about a 22-250 improved, and maintain the fast twist so I could use the heavy bullets. I do reload, but would prefer to have the ability to shoot factory ammo in the gun on occation. Am I on a good path, or does someone have a better caliber choice for the short action.

Depends on your mission. I'd rather stay with the small bolt face and chamber for the 223 Ackley Improved. It almost bridges the gap between small vermin and larger predators, especially at moderate ranges.

Good luck with your choice, LB

Unless you just have to keep that rifle for whatever reason, IMHO you'd be far better off just selling it and buying something that you want. For one thing, some gunsmiths will frankly balk at the prospect of opening your bolt face up that much; many will tell you to either: 1) buy a bolt with the proper bolt face, 2) buy a different action, or 3) buy a different rifle.

While PTG sells bolts at a pretty reasonable price, by the time you buy one and have it fit and a handle welded on, the project probably just became cost-prohibitive. The second consideration, at least for me, is that I would want to have the action trued and the receiver threads recut. Using the factory barrel after that is a no-win situation both because of cost to set it back and rechamber and thread (assuming that's possible), and quality of the barrel to begin with. The receiver threads will now be too large for the factory barrel threads. Remington factory barrels shoot remarkably well for what they are, but I'm not about to use one on a blueprinted action.

On the other hand, plenty of people shoot factory barrels and untrued actions with perfect satisfaction. What you suggest wouldn't work for me, but then, it's not my gun.

Or you could leave it the way it is and get years of shooting enjoyment out of it. .223 is no hot rod .22 cal that's for sure but they are still a whole lot of fun to shoot on a variety of things.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts