223 primers are smashed

6mm06guy

With the ammo, primer, bullet shortage, I'm forced to downsize due to my component selection. The problem I'm having is when I'm seating the primers some of them are smashed. I use exclusively rcbs reloading products and I'm using there hand priming tool. The brass is lake city that I bought in bulk that was supposed to be swagged already. Have any of you guys experienced any similar problems. I'll post some pics tonight.

I would say they are not swaged and the crimp is still there, this will cause hard seating and smashed or ruined primers or primers not seating all the way. Do the primer pockets have a rounded edge at the top or do they still look sharp at the top edge? If they are still sharp looking and not a small rounded edge I would bet they are not swagged

What JKB57 said. If you have a neck chamfer tool use the inside portion to stick in the primer pocket and give it a turn or two and then try priming one. Do this until primers seat easy and you will know how much you need to remove in them all.

Some of them do still look sharp, I used my chamfer tool and it helps but to get them to seat like "normal" they look like they are unsupported around the bace of the primer. I will order a swaging tool tonight.

the dillon has worked for me perfectly. although the other brands should function the same.. my experience has been very consistent in pocket depth with lake city brass ( a mixed lot can be all over the place )
..once you have it adjusted you will find heavy and light swages of the pocket id recommend sorting by feel . if you find one that is loose it will likely be a 223 rem ..ive done the cut method and swaging is by far more consistent

the dillon has worked for me perfectly. although the other brands should function the same.. my experience has been very consistent in pocket depth with lake city brass ( a mixed lot can be all over the place )
..once you have it adjusted you will find heavy and light swages of the pocket id recommend sorting by feel . if you find one that is loose it will likely be a 223 rem ..ive done the cut method and swaging is by far more consistent
A mixture of different kinds of brass, or a mixture of lake city brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts