223 max grain bullet

milkie62

I am shooting a Mossberg MVP 223 with 24" barrel.It has a 1in9 twist.Shhots 55 gr bullets great.Would like to try some 62 grainers.At what grain bullet will my accuracy start to fail ?

I had a 1-9 Savage FP in .223 that shot the 69gn bullets in the .2 and .3's. I was pretty happy with that till I shot some 55gn Ballistic Tips in to low .1's! Should have kept that little rifle.

Not sure what the max limit is. If I had to guess I'd say 75gn's. Good luck. JohnnyK.

Two things to consider when shooting heavies in 223 is mag length and coal . If you have too seat the bullet deep for either reason you impead on case capacity and velocity!

When I had a Savage .223 9 twist I fired Sierra 80 grainers out to 700 yards. My favorite was Hornady 75 grain A-Max. When one poster heard I was using them he tried to convince me they would not stabilize. I guess he wasn't able to convince the rifle. The 80's I used for only paper and gongs. The 75's I used for rockchucks.

75's shouldn't be an issue 80gr idk maybe maybe not. There are no definites on this to many variables at play.

All the twist calculators on the planet are no guarantee of anything. Buy 20 and shoot them at your elevation and see what happens.

Longer and lighter can be as marginal as shorter and heavier and can be overcome with more velocity.