.223 Match ammo?

Idgunner

My Savage 110 is giviing me fits with accuracy at 100 yards, or rather a lack of accuracy. This weekend I purchased a box each of Hornady and Winchester Match ammo and I'm looking forward to a calm day to head to the range. The Hornady is 75 grain and the Winchester is 65 grain bullets. The heaviest I've put through the barrel so far has been 55 gr. The only thing that gave me a 1 inch group at 100 yards was 40 gr ballistic tips. I've been really surprised at how far from point of aim some of the ammo shoots. That I can live with but until I get a reloader I'm stuck with off the shelf stuff.

Can I expect tighter groups from the Match ammo or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Trial and error. I can say I've had great results with the Hornady 75's in my .223. Tikka T3 with a 1-8" twist. I think it should work in the 1-9" Savage

My Savage 110 is giviing me fits with accuracy at 100 yards, or rather a lack of accuracy. This weekend I purchased a box each of Hornady and Winchester Match ammo and I'm looking forward to a calm day to head to the range. The Hornady is 75 grain and the Winchester is 65 grain bullets. The heaviest I've put through the barrel so far has been 55 gr. The only thing that gave me a 1 inch group at 100 yards was 40 gr ballistic tips. I've been really surprised at how far from point of aim some of the ammo shoots. That I can live with but until I get a reloader I'm stuck with off the shelf stuff.

Can I expect tighter groups from the Match ammo or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Since you have a 110, your rifle probably has a 1-12 or 1-14 twist. The best bullets for your rifle will be in the 40-55gr weight range. You will unlikely find any factory match ammo loaded with 52 or 53gr slugs. Most will just be the heavies like you have already tried. Try some Hornady 50gr V-MAX factory loaded shells. The V-MAXs are very, very accurate bullets and the off the shelf stuff outta shoot pretty well.

The rifle is sold with a 1-9 twist rate that's why I bought the heavier bullets to try. I've not verified the twist rate but may have to.

You said a Savage 110 in your original post which are the older rifles and they had 1-12 twists I'm pretty sure. I did not know you purchased a newer Savage. Yes, the new ones have 1-9 twists. It should shoot up to 75gr bullets like you have tried.

It is a Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP with a 1-9 twist. It had a Nikon scope on it that I changed out for a Burris C4 AR specifically for the .223. Nice scope. It comes with a bullet drop compensator knob calibrated for a 55gr bullet. That seems to be fairly close but as I've noted my groups suck at 100 yards. That's why I'm hoping the heavier match grade bullets will deliver better results.

I'm hoping that someone can confirm for me that the off the shelf "Match" ammo is worth it. Until I get a reloader I'm stuck with what ammo I can buy,

try Federal Supremes in something like 60 or 70 grains. Before trying the next box of bullets, loosen the action screws and re-torque them to 40 inch pounds in two or three steps. I've seen a lot of rifles thru the years that had loose action screws (all brands). Also check your scope bases and rings to see if they are tight

I've never seen a Savage .223 built in the last twenty five years that wasn't a 1:9 twist barrel. Their 22-250's come with a 1:12 twist barrel with a 1:9 as an option. If you reload, seat the bullets to within .003" of the lands. I like BLC2 with 50 and 55 grain bullets in the .223 case. (27.5 grains with a Federal primer).

gary

I'm hoping that someone can confirm for me that the off the shelf "Match" ammo is worth it. Until I get a reloader I'm stuck with what ammo I can buy,

The last trip to the range my Tikka T3 "Scout" 1-8" twist stayed between 0.25" and 0.5"
for the entire box of Hornady 75 grain "Match fired" in 4 round groups. Most of the dispersion was horizontal to the right as I was ignoring the come and go breeze from the left.

I've shot nearly 200 of them, and so far that's been typical. It's worked so well I've stalled out reloading, and buy more each time I pass through Cabela's.

The ammo has the potential to perform well, I can't say what your experience will be, but it's worth a box to see.

My rifle shoots sub MOA with most anything so far, so I've been lucky. Hopefully your dealing with an ammo issue, and this helps you.

I sure hope you are right. The best group and been a 1 inch group with the 40 gr ballistic tips. everything else is spread out to 2 to 3 inches. It sux.

I've been thinking about buying a reloader but I want to see some decent groups from this rifle before I invest in a machine. After all, it may just be the rifle.

Thanks,

I would think that you would get better accuracy even with heavier bullets, that being said, my .300 Win shoots sub .5 with 190 gr. Hornaday bullets ( not for sale any more, glad I bought 10 boxes) and 1 in with 180 gr and 2inches with anything lighter.
Find what shoots the best and like you said, until you can start reloading your rifle may just do better with the 40 gr. projectiles. It wouldn't be the first time I have heard about a rifle being that finicky. I have found that Match ammo does not always provide the greatest possible accuracy even though the bullets are billed as such. They defintely are not made for shooting game.

I appreciate the replies.

The Match ammo did not do any better than anything else, other than the 40gr stuff. I guess I need to do my research into what die set to buy and get that Dillon 550 and set it up. Wish me luck.

I'm really surprised and disappointed in this rifle. I honestly thought that a good rifle would shoot tight groups off of a bench with sandbags and good trigger control. Guess I'm pretty naive.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.