223 Jackley (Jim’s Super Ackley) -Maybe build

Rugerjim

Hey "bruh's".
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a wildcat build to follow, basically increasing the shoulder length of your 223 AI 2 or 3 mm for some extra oomph. I could just build a 22-204 I know (and I am building a 22BR), but why not max out the plain old 223 case for varmint lightning? Love to see how hard I can push a 50.

anyone interested?

I'll use a standard chamber reamer and go in 2 or 3 mm deeper, then get a custom reamer made for the die if I can't hit it well with conventional tooling on the lathe.
I'm trying to convince myself it's worth the effort.

BallisticsGuy

You'll gain basically nothing in terms of powder capacity and shorten the neck so much that I wouldn't stick it in a semi auto since the journey up the feed ramp will almost certainly be able to induce massive runout. You'd be going from around .200-.206" of neck length which is already getting on the short side to around .128 at 2mm to .088 at 3mm. That's a mighty slender amount of neck to hold the pill in correct apposition to the case. It's just not a useful way to burn money.

Rugerjim

Fair call. And nah it’s for a bolt gun. I might just run the 22-204 however I just wanted to really push the little 223 case as far as possible, you know… cause we can

Recent Posts