223 in 1-9 twist barrel heaviest bullets and any load data

bigrich954rr

Its a Bushmaster Varmint rifle. i know it has a 1-9 twist barrel whats the heaviest bullet i can shoot. looking for some load info if anyone has any.

Hi any 75gr Projectile should work but in an AR two projectiles that will work and feed through the mags are the 77gr Sierra MAtchKings and the Hornady 75gr HPBT MAtch (not the A Max) Both of these projectile are specificaly designed for use in AR's with 9 twist barrels and to feed through the mag. For primers the Rem 7 1/2 primers are the best as they are the most resistant to peircing at the higher reward thrust pressures with heavy projectiles. I would get a bolt weight from David Tubb the Tungsten one would be the best and also a spring set to make sure the action does not get hammered. You can then work up from 23gr H4895 and work up to a max of 25gr ( Do not go straiget there as your rifle may not like the pressure that high) seat them to the max length of the magazene and shoot the pne that groups the best and you will be able to shoot to 1000 yards.

CHeers Bill
Australia

I have a Savage 110 in .223 with the 1-9" twist and it shoots the 55gn Ballistic Tip up to the 69gn SMK and 69gn Nosler Competition very very accurately. I've shot the 55's in the .1's and the 69's in the .2's. For powders I use W748 and H4895 and Remington and CCI primers. Hope this gets you in the right area. JohnnyK

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.