223 Ground Hog " How Far "

Re: 223 Ground Hog " How Far "

my best so far was 460y

24" heavy AR, 1-9, 16x scope
40gr vmax moly
28gr w748

i do also load 75 BTHP and Amax, but havent had any kills useing them past 300

509 was one shot but using a 75bthp Hornady, have killed many past 300 with both nos and Vmax 55gr the 40-50gr drifted a little too much for me........lots of
good choices on bullets.......

Gentlemen.......being from SoDak myself and having a life times supply of pasture poodles too shoot at in my very own back yard, entertains me beyond your wildest dreams. I occasionally have city boys pay me a visit for the shooting time of their life and they don't even take full advantage of it for the most part. I hear such things as "all the close ones stay down". Sheesh.....shooting puppies at less than 500 yards should be a crime against varmint shooting. I've heard so many shooters try too tell me that they can't shoot that far but yet when i show them how and get them dialed in.....they have the time of their lives and just can't believe that they can be shooting distances of 500 too 800 yds. Good optics and a cartridge with some zest are a major plus. I personally use 2 guns......both are AR's. A 223WSSM & 243WSSM. Oh, I have 223's and a 22-250 which i use once in awhile but since i got my hands on my WSSM's...they rule the roost when it comes too shooting pasture poodles at ANY distance you want too shoot even out too and beyond 1000 yds if you so desire. Most of my city friends have also started too now figure it out after this summer and are in the process of adding WSSM's too their varmint arsenal for next summer as well. One that i know of now has an AR in both 223 & 243WSSM just from seeing how well mine worked. A couple of others have informed me that they bought bolt guns in WSSM's, so next summer should be VERY INTERESTING. Happy Shooting.

69gr SMK's in the 223wssm and 85gr bthp sierra's in the 243wssm. I got my starting load data from using the online "LoadData.com" website and i'm using Accurate 4350 powder with wlr primers. I was using an AR in 6mm ppc until the wssm's became available and since I now have 2 of them.......i felt happy when i sold the ppc upper. It was an awesome shooter, it just ran out of spunk too soon unlike the wssm's.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.