.223 for Song Dogs

SDM

I had a question posted about my lowly .223....and then figured out that since I don't have a super long range caliber, or a silly expensive nightforce scope and custom rifle that there wasn't one person on this forum that would take the time to answer it. Edited.

Last edited:
I had a question posted about my lowly .223....and then figured out that since I don't have a super long range caliber, or a silly expensive nightforce scope and custom rifle that there wasn't one person on this forum that would take the time to answer it. Edited.
What was the question?

Haha. Lots of people here don't own a $3000 scope or custom built 15lb "hunting" rifle. This area however is certainly for the coyote enthusiast. I have used nothing but the ol .223 for coyotes.

Ask away.

$600 will buy any of my favorite coyote rigs,Savage or Stevens with plastic stocks,Simmons scopes.All will take a coyote as far as the spotlight will shine,what more do you want?

Didn't see whatever your first post was. I doubt if failure to get response had much to do with the price of your equipment.

Currently I'm using a .223 for coyotes. There hotter .224 cartridges that pick up some of the farther better, but I try to ask myself if rifle more suitable at longer range going to interfere with the close shots, and find a balance.

If I want more range I tend to step up in caliber to 6mm.

Some double carry a rifle, and a shotgun. Too much for me.

Ask away.

I have a rem700 sps varmint in .223 and absolutely love it. Shoots the 53gr Hornady VMAX extremely well and nothing as walked away from it if I do my part.

223 is my go to caliber for coyotes and although I sometimes pack bigger rifles every coyote I have ever hit with a 223 never took another step. I will admit I have never connected on a coyote over 400 yards, but I think that is more my own lack of skill than a shortfall of the caliber.

The wind can really wreak havoc on the lighter .223 bullet options so stretching it out 4-500 yards can be a little frustrating. If the conditions are in your favor I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot with my .223 out to 600 yards on a coyote.

Both my Coyote guns are 223's. One AR15 and one Howa 1500. Coyotes may be hard to hunt but they are not hard to kill. Take the rifle/scope combination you can afford, load it up with your typical varmint ammo, and get after it.

Tried finding your previous post with no luck. So what's the question?

I'm using a tikka with a 1in 8 twist shooting 65 gr sierra's works well on yotes out to 400- 450 yds . The rifle has s 4.5 -14 x44 Ziess . Moderately priced package it will put everything in a very small hole at 100yds if I do my part

Remington SPS left hand Millet 6x25x56 Warne steel rings and bases
Outstanding rifle
223cal 27.0grs tac, 53gr. barnes TSX, winchester brass, 205primers.
this is an outstanding load.
I have 4 223's
223 sps Rem
223AI Rem 788
AR 223 match barrel
AR 223 varmit 26" bull barrel
accuracy comes with practice. confidence comes with practice.
The 223 is a suitable round in good hands to 500 yrds.
223"s r the best for predator extermination.

T U M just countrygun)

I love hunting dogs with my Rem .223 its a bit heavy with a varmint barrel but it'll reach out and touch them like it counts. I will on occasion use my 22-250 or carry my AR

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.