223 for hogs

I've killed quite a few with .223 in an ar platform using everything from Barnes 55 or 62 grain ttsx, down to 55 nosler BT. I've had none run off with the .223. Several have gotten away with the 7.62x 39. I've never lost one with the 6.5 Grendel either, though my buddies have lost a few with Grendel. Shot placement is king with hogs, especially the big ones. That being said, I've seen several keep trying to climb out of a trap after taking head shots with 9mm, .40, .45 ACP.

One other option for the poster.

If you can only shoot 223s then why not install a brake on it and enjoy almost no recoil.

We have ran lots of test on brakes for the 223 AR and the best design
we found reduced recoil from 3.8 ft/lbs to 1.1 ft/lbs on an average AR 15
I know it sounds crazy, but the ladies and youths love the AR with a brake for total control in rapid fire situations.

I hate to hear that someone is unable to deal with recoil and cant enjoy the sport.

J E CUSTOM
Yep, as far as MB tech has evolved over the last twenty or thirty years there's just no reason not to have one or a good suppressor.

With either even my 375R shooting 300gr bullets feels like a popgun and is an absolute blast to shoot.

You could also load or buy some 223 ammo with the 60gr Nosler Partition...

After all it's a Partition and therefore super reliable. ;)

There are PLENTY of posts all over the hog hunting forums and it seems that the shot of choice, if you have the time and a good rest, is just below the ear from a broadside angle. It's a certain bang flop situation and has worked for me every time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...remington-60-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20

Thanks for all the feedback.
Will check into bullet selections for 223.
To give you a good idea of how well the high powered .223 range of calibers can perform on hogs.

Last night the wife and I went out to finish some chores just before dark when out of he corner of my eye I thought I saw something moving along the edge of plowed field and I slowed to a stop grabbing my .220 swift which I've been carrying lately for varmints and predators.

I get it out the window and brace up and sure enough there's a pretty good sized boar (300lbs or so) moving through the brush. He's moving along at a walk through low brush about 325 yards or so to my left rear heading in the opposite from my line of travel.

Im shooting Hornady factory varmint ammunition with a rather highly frangible bullet so I only option is to try for the base of the skull and cervical vertebrae. I put the crosshairs a couple or three inches below his ear hole and about six to nine back along his neck and as soon as he steps clear, pull the trigger.

The 55gr varmint bomb destroys his C1-C2 and brain stem and he's toast. Total time spent on the hunt? About 20 seconds.

Now without a doubt I'd have preferred something like the Peregrine VRG-4 or VLR, bullets that absolutely will not over expand or break up but by considering all of the factors and selecting the right shot I was still 100% confident that the Swift would still get the job done.

I specifically mentioned that projectile because it's rather short and stabilizes in a 10 twist 223 based cartridge. A 9 twist is a gimme, but a 10 twist works if the right powder is chosen. I've seen them work wonders in a 26" 10tw. Never tried it on a shorter barrel with a 10tw.

It will but it takes rather a fast twist to stabilize the 70gr or higher projectiles so you have to be sure you have at least probably a 9 twist barrel in order to shoot them with any accuracy.

I helped a friend do some ballistic testing on an old hunting lease that they were starting to clear cut once and we were shocked at how well small and lightweight "varmint" bullets fully penetrated small pine trees sometimes effectively destroying them and leaving them nearly cut in half.

Don't discount the ability of a light and somewhat fragile bullet to wreak mayhem in tissue and even bone plus it can often kill quickly if placed properly.

We are often consumed with terminal ballistics and well we should be but sometimes we forget the utterly devastating effects of ANY projectile at high speed if it hits in a vital zone.

All that being said I still spend a lot of time and thought selecting the proper bullet for optimum terminal performance on any game I intend to hunt while NOT counting on the perfect placement of a marginal bullet for the task.

The problem with hogs is the size differences. There is a world of difference in a 60# pig and the armored car that is a 350# boar. I use thermal and night vision. Went from 223 to 300blk to get more penetration and bigger holes if using an AR. May move up in caliber. A lot of big boars I would have lost if I didn't have Jagdterriers to run the trail even though they died within 300 yards. Boar shields, thick hide, and fat seal off 223 wounds a lot of times. Always hope for through and through penetration. RP

You could also load or buy some 223 ammo with the 60gr Nosler Partition...

After all it's a Partition and therefore super reliable. ;)

There are PLENTY of posts all over the hog hunting forums and it seems that the shot of choice, if you have the time and a good rest, is just below the ear from a broadside angle. It's a certain bang flop situation and has worked for me every time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...remington-60-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20
This requires a very fast twist barrel.

that is unfortunate you are limited to using a 223, although many will say the 223 is not a limitation. this, long with shot placement, are probably the oldest hog discussions/arguments still going. i don't normally use the 223 as weapon of choice, but i have used it as backup when larger calibers were in repair. i will go on record as saying you can't kill a hog with a 223. been a while since i posted any pics, so i'll catch up a little. all these hogs were shot with a 223, but none died. they all got up and ran off after i took the pic.

JH9iF1jT01zdwDg2zGPMhIHQEDBNv5K0kCKgsDwrI-akt5_uLH1JJvRlBgfkwEuGlGYTxEpeTNL96of5Ic-b9xziRkY3Lkfz9EASUafCzE_n-uvxRPyGNgFFQgnXyo6G4231tbNlTuGWpZOj4WgwAohQwAgODTTD_W2jgc0mHmDMXUXzb7Sf903WEHvZt3U-E6FwquhfnHLMunheataZS9NV8S3CJNP1He8nfRvXs-GAGhU_G6UBx4tRwHHg37NQMpKPXzUUD7UaWMDo7LvUX7lssWdygObLhDcMp3pQhZv19HkFWEFplsmxu0Ap73SsqgYG5IjFvR1qZJE74sEFMfYeSCFMHPYZuYW1WK9J0Js22Ezn7k7gZVOFXGsq49ucoZpPX25ZvBHNzquPk-2_TZswLrBZwtHTECUTeWIc2MfTqYOlhuSqCN45wW90IKPOXn4Cu_cQn_7fpZIKPYYR1PYiOUznfVczjs4TMLA5FSIA_GSUoBGtO9QL-p6UkcjrNkg852E8pQ43sFXWPDL1Dx2C-DsuPUARYb1MCxYlVZm1lwTOLGcmFdZyvyfhAqlWAxVTPWFnRizagaqpuzxwcXNW9a4iH6xTUiNU-mCyn8JkTEqbTTDH=w1045-h784-no

Tlbo55S5nNLzxrVx-71J91hqLaWJyFAgbHSIZldkmLtDSkbCOHzwaTFo-dKi7VM2iW-SeX5FwPtkAigZcmOY_MFC-yA3GNt8VWhqFpWLnwYeWO157hKSb9isTtnFC7poTIXRwPtpFMLsLH6VaKW9Oc3Odr0Zw2zzE7Nb-AaMynCDpeN6cDojh8tj3j_NFFYBmETOjwgi_0WYZ5CDL88OQYiHhMy3xRA0tD5UByfq54W3EtyWHS6KOhE1XduO6inrJ2hOXi3iIQEdMkFmR98iGAYH9HoO62WwcKJcm_FUHOpHmd2_d4mfyjU0kLxpVJU8E2rQ8PGi_EcNc6o-f3UjrFthAg3OQ1lU3mCGASouz1oyub2I6aEvtdmdTfy6YCi6tGxk51sQCYLYO3Fd5jYvqLb1IR6jE06PDXEMEl3ur1aOAsxeCw_qVP1xOQT6__JCU9r-NnODxfkASMQXXRqEkcu_hFUHELpsWxmLueVv8t1yVtJHDoMWkqRQ24ozLWgq3Ql_wyUiFwqZi8dQoIWkmfWoHQaFdMq3f92AO2_CIP9IoNMwDFykoN7F0YdL5ieIXPZ_n17pJvSURegPKDOBEmgKaDKJrXciGUuyUD_FP2ZnDe12GW69=w1045-h784-no

VHJzxuT4-A1LP11h1baXJab2TR7R9wrvCOp7cqx4cizp5Q7yrUyvgF6L5vyl3wKf6_7h6bc3z5Qzz56xZLGKjsuYN7u6BlZaGFvieh2IrMKWbLZpFWP8J4vLoIn2mbVOvFwYXJHjbGyuvnkWURkBhsV4-xpBivzgEZkd74ifyz313iSS6mjHVXj8xL04auUYhpix5aj4RqcAEcPaxzomeili-_xEqVBLzwBvRkC8c7qeJBOk7mU24TqQGCW9fzrsNtrwus4pKw9iVOY25zm4hWKYTsjgLhrSWiwrczlPC5N7_tA21oAyduFGanrZ8pDnZ48IHxNMzb_Jq8ZvZ7yxaHgFrtkV1Zulqj6LCThe7t3iaDufbgYIo81_mLLUHXm8SI34piGjYpAiQnuf4d_51ckizJt1FIp4YGWDy9fETyGt-BEtJG0xUmaVLz1Sm2MoHESjYzzzu_08-2xJiEwWR5x5_I8hy9IRUMNRX-xyrJfc7_Bv7W9rQHRfkuIZu2rUhRyxaEbAfx6Swx70Tpl2fGrorPPxAM2cdDHRfPbwcaGagrmaktJhJ59-H4ElDLg9KQrFppKTuarE2gPS-RrNhQv0uEpDVC32fbJ4NW_qISI36ddcma4H=w1045-h784-no

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts