223 Fed brass question

Rilow

Was going to start working up a load for the 223 and had fair bit of fed brass from factory ammo. So cleaned did all the prep and when went to put primers in they wouldn't fit. I noticed they have what looks like a sleeve in primer pocket. The diameter of the small rifle primer were too big for the pocket. Anybody come across this? Is this just odd ball brass that's not reloadable?

I knew I'd get the answer here thanks. Do you have a reference to the tool to do this or how to do it?

I use this one

But as canhunter stated, a chamfer tool can be used and it works well. But if your looking at a higher volume of cases I'd get a swaging tool. If you have several k cases Dillon makes a tool for progressive setups. Good luck

Thanks Can n Mallard, I watched a video on how to do it. I got a chamfer tool I can do it with as I only got about 100 of these cases right now.

If you have a drill press I like to pop the bit into my press and then just let it run and you can really roll thorough some cases

Obviously, you don't want to chamfer too much! That's why I got the Dillon primer pocket swager. You can find one on eBay for around $100. That's a lot to pay for only 100 cases, though.

I found this out the hard way recently as well when trying to convert some .223 brass to 300 BLK with both Federal and Wolf gold brass. I just use the chamfer tool on an electric motor and remove a slight amount of material and then they prime easily. Would be easy to do with a hand tool just slower.YMMV

Was going to start working up a load for the 223 and had fair bit of fed brass from factory ammo. So cleaned did all the prep and when went to put primers in they wouldn't fit. I noticed they have what looks like a sleeve in primer pocket. The diameter of the small rifle primer were too big for the pocket. Anybody come across this? Is this just odd ball brass that's not reloadable?
they are crimped in. I use a Hornady primer pocket uniformed on a drill and it takes them right out. On Amazon cheap

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.