.223 explosion!

So they were over loaded and fit in an AR magazine? Add to that an 80 gr fitting the mag had to further compress the overload. Someone has been hitting the wild flower seed.

So they were over loaded and fit in an AR magazine? Add to that an 80 gr fitting the mag had to further compress the overload. Someone has been hitting the wild flower seed.
My thoughts too-- 80 grainers are pretty long for a standard ar/mag--- what twist "was" his rifle barrel?
Sounds like he might have needed a little more time learning the reloading process before embarking on "specialty" rounds

at three grains over.... on lawyer friendly loading tables. I've popped primers in other ARs like my 308. Distance to lands, heat, who knows. did it hang some powder and really over charge it. Was the range brass pick up reload with a really small volume case???

Case volume is a big thing

Was it for 223 or 5.56? If barrel has 223rem markings don't use 5.56! I state this as there are 223rem AR barrels. In the neighborhood of .4 grains less of cfe223 in a 223rem on max load in hornady's book.

I sold my buddy a 20 in SS spiral fluted 8:1 in 223 and he put it all together. He didn't think that 55 gr fmj's grouped very well so he decided to go straight to 80 gr. He doesn't drink so he doesn't have that excuse. But he failed to change his dillion 650 loader to less grains and he proceeded to load away with 27.5 grains of CFE 223. He went to shoot and it's 90 degrees here.
He set up his shooting bench and boom..... it blew the magazine off the bottom of the lower!

I told him that it too bad that he didn't have his Chrono going and maybe just a new bolt and smash the lower back down to correct size in a vice and he's good to go :)

Comparing it to his other AR

View attachment 375230

Blew the magasine..That is one reason I don't use the solid SLED when shooting slow fire prone in competition. The standard magasine acts like an explosion chamber.

24.4gr is showing as 53000psi --- would 27 gr have caused that? Or was there multiple issues? Pistol powder by accident? A bullet pushed back into the case by recoil? Will 27 grains even fit in the case? Comercial brass or nato brass?

I think more info is needed

I saw a 6.5-06 that had a real bad lockup when the owner loaded H4895 instead of H4831 - some number resemblence. As expected, it locked the bolt and the barrel needed to be removed from the receiver to clean the mess up. It was a pre 64 M70. The cartridge head was smeared over the bolt face and needed to be picked off, floor plate blown open. Checked out as OK, possibly with new extractor & floor plate, reassembled and back into use.

My TiteGroup & Staball6.5 powders closely resemble each other, close enough so I store my pistol powders in a separate wood box. Putting a hasp & padlock on the pistol powder box would be a good idea. The powder bottles are shaped & feel like each other but have different labels.

Must have been one compressed load with 27 grains of CFE223 & 80 grain bullet loaded for magazine use - that should have been an alert to impending destruction - kaboom. Hodgdon 80 grain Sierra bullet & CFE223 data, COAL 2.380:
2.380"23.02,63846,700 PSI24.42,78553,600 PSI

Last edited:
Was it for 223 or 5.56? If barrel has 223rem markings don't use 5.56! I state this as there are 223rem AR barrels. In the neighborhood of .4 grains less of cfe223 in a 223rem on max load in hornady's book.
something like this.

something like this.

I've purchased a few firearms related items from them before. 10mm upper, 10mm mags and other small items and have had a few issues with their stuff. Nothing blew up though or came apart. I don't know if their barrels are 3rds or 4ths? The 10mm barrel can't handle the pressures other 10mm barrels I have in pcc platforms! Extractor lasted less than 100 rounds before it broke.

I saw a 6.5-06 that had a real bad lockup when the owner loaded H4895 instead of H4831 - some number resemblence. As expected, it locked the bolt and the barrel needed to be removed from the receiver to clean the mess up. It was a pre 64 M70. The cartridge head was smeared over the bolt face and needed to be picked off, floor plate blown open. Checked out as OK, possibly with new extractor & floor plate, reassembled and back into use.

My TiteGroup & Staball6.5 powders closely resemble each other, close enough so I store my pistol powders in a separate wood box. Putting a hasp & padlock on the pistol powder box would be a good idea. The powder bottles are shaped & feel like each other but have different labels.

Must have been one compressed load with 27 grains of CFE223 & 80 grain bullet loaded for magazine use - that should have been an alert to impending destruction - kaboom. Hodgdon 80 grain Sierra bullet & CFE223 data, COAL 2.380:
2.380"23.02,63846,700 PSI24.42,78553,600 PSI
My method: write down the powder, grains of charge and oal then tape it on the press powder hopper. Along with the loading date. Don't forget bullet weight.