223 bullet weight question for 24" barrel

SofaKing

I Bought an older savage 110fp (a.k.a. Tactical) in 223 with 24" barrel and I believe a 1/9 twist. My question is what would the minimum and maximum grain bullet weights for that barrel?

Thanks
gun)

I'd think you'd need to stay at 70 grains or less for that twist rate. You may be able to make find a bullet that is slightly heavier work but unless you're willing to spend bucks on bullets that might work (like the 73 Berger HPBT) I believe you'd be better off holding the line at 70 grains or less and knowing reliably that they are going to work in your rifle.
Just sayin' ................

Last edited:
The Berger #1 says 1 in 9 or faster for the 73 and 1 in 8 or faster with the 75.

Find the length of the bullet and ensure your twist rate is indeed 1 in 9 that will be the key. Bergers VLD bullets are long in comparison to some so you may be able to shoot a heavier bullet if its short.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

It seems the barrel itself is as much a factor in how heavy a 9" twist 22 cal will shoot well. My 5.56 ar (9" twist) will toss 5 75 grain priv partisan hpbt's in an inch at 100 all day long provided I do my part. I suspect it's a whether your rifle is a bit fast or slow of the 9" mark that's causing the differences. If in doubt, I'd stay lower than 70 grains.

morning, I have custom barreled 788 rem. I bought the rifle from a long range shooter from calif. the barrel is 29" long, #6 SS target barrel. I could not get the gun to target the 55gr. bullets. I have the barrel removed and rechambered to 223AI. I got some 72gr. VLD bergers. use 27.5gr. of TAC. fed 205 match primer, Winchester brass. ten shots .430. this is a smoking combination. I have an AR varmit. 24" #7 contour barrel, DPMS upper, Rock River lower. 6.5-20x44 Nikon monarch. Warne steel 1" rings. 23.5grs. Tac, Winchester brass, 205 match primer, nt black 55gr. bullets. shoots .250 outstanding accuracy. I have AR super match some load. target barrel same load bugholes. Rem. SPS left hand 223 outstanding accuracy. I have 4 223's. Cheap to reload. extremely good accuracy.gun)gun) T U

just country

I Bought an older savage 110fp (a.k.a. Tactical) in 223 with 24" barrel and I believe a 1/9 twist. My question is what would the minimum and maximum grain bullet weights for that barrel?

Thanks
gun)

A 9 twist is a good compromise twist in .223. My 9 twist .223 has shot bullets down to 45 grains (the lightest I have used) very well. At the upper end, it stabilizes the 75 AMAX (the heaviest bullet I have used) and the Hornady 75 BTHP.

From reading some of the things Bryan Litz has written, however, I have learned that it is possible for a bullet to be stable enough to shoot good groups from a given rifle and twist combination, but the bc can still be degraded by insufficient twist.

The Berger bullets website includes a twist calculator, based on Bryan Litz's testing, that will help you to determine whether or not a given bullet can reach its full potential from a given twist. For example, when I input the data for the Hornady 75 BTHP, the Berger twist calculator indicated this bullet to be fully stable from my 9 twist barrel. By contrast, though the 75 AMAX is sufficiently stable to fly straight and shoot decent groups, it was shown to be insufficiently stable from a 9 twist to take full advantage of its bc. Moreover, its bc was degraded to the point where the AMAX offers no ballistic advantage over the BTHP in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.