223 Brass

jr1966

Iam venturing into new territory here and seekin an opinion from those who have a deeper knowledge than me. I got a bunch of once fired brass, mixed headstamps, so after sizing/decapping cleaning and separating by headstamp into different bags, I started to trim the brass and what I have found puzzles me a bit. Trim length for the .223 is 1.750, the PMC brass all needed to be trimmed no problem, pretty much all the Remington brass was good, but when I went to the Federal brass, when I started to mic it before it hit the trimmer, it was mic'n at anywhere between 1.740-749. I even had a few that were at 1.735. Out of that bag of 300-400 rounds only about 25 fell into specs. Now asking around from others with level of experience say, lucky you! You get alot of shots before you gotta trim it. I have never had brass to short from the getgo. Anyone know if this short brass is ok to load. Other opinions would be great, thanks.​

jr1966,

It's fine, no worries at all. The max length for a 223 case is 1.760", and 1.750" is normally listed as the "trim to" length. Thre's nothing magic about this number, and .010" is just what most soruces have decided to call "good" enough to trim to. It's the other way that causes trouble; letting them get too long. Then you're into a potential safety problem. Below that, no problem.

You will see some variables come into play if you're crimping these rounds, but as a general rule, I'd recommend against crimping if at all possible anyway.

what Kevin said.

Uniform the Fed's (or LC) separately from the rem's and pmc's etc. and you will be fine. You may have to be more careful with them not to chew off a lot of neck uniforming the length(you still need SOME neck to hold the bullet) but no worries. I've got a bunch of them loaded for my ar; just fine.

Thankyou for giving me that input. I keep searching around and actually found they have changes the SAAMI specs of the 223 after 01 with now the min length is 1.730. Again, thatnks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.