.223 Barnes 70gr TSX BT

NorthernHunter67

Hello, Anyone loading the Barnes .223 TSX BT for White Tail. I plan to load it to max with Hodgon CFE 223 and use my Browning X-Bolt with 1/8 twist . How is the accuracy if you use it? I used 7mm X Bullets 30 years ago and could get any accuracy. I used Federal's .223 Nosler 60gr Partitions last year with worked fine but didn't group well. These are "suburban nuisance" deer and the shots are close-20 to 100 yards tops. Could also use a 7mm-08 with 140gr TSX but in the suburbs would prefer the .223.

I have killed big game w/them from my 22-06, won't work in 223. Use the 45 gr Barnes it will work fine. Friend kills deer w/it in a 222 Rem out to 100 yards.

If it's that close and in the suburbs where over penetration might be an issue I'd go lighter and faster with a bullet that's going to come apart and stick to head and neck shots. I have never recovered a barnes copper bullet.

I head shot a doe antelope a couple years ago with a 62gr ttsx from my suppressed 22-250 and listened to that bullet zing across the desert for a couple seconds afterwards.

It'll probably do ok, but in all honesty it isn't a bullet that would come to my mind to roll with.

I'd go with a 55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp or hp and or a 63 Sierra.

Any of these will shoot very well and will dump a deer toot sweet...

Zero reason to use a heavy preme in a 223 for deer, unless of course for some reason one just wants to. Lastly, I'd go with the 62 TTSX before the 70

If it's that close and in the suburbs where over penetration might be an issue I'd go lighter and faster with a bullet that's going to come apart and stick to head and neck shots. I have never recovered a barnes copper bullet.

I head shot a doe antelope a couple years ago with a 62gr ttsx from my suppressed 22-250 and listened to that bullet zing across the desert for a couple seconds afterwards.
Good point, perhaps I should stick to using Nosler 140hr BTips out of my 7mm-08.

I have been using a 64 gr hammer hunter in 223 to cull deer and take hogs it absolutely pole axes them and very accurate my rifle is also an 8 twist

I would look at using Noslers 64gr. BSB. I get 2900 fps with CFE223 and it works great on deer.

I've run the factory loaded 5.56 70gr TSX for deer. On a mature midwest doe I center punched and broke the close shoulder and the bullet made a clean exit. It was a 75 yard shot. A guy I know in Colorado uses the 62 gr tsx out to a couple hundred yards on pronghorn and it does quite well.

Last edited:

AGREED! In an urban/suburban situation, I would stay away from monos. Not a big fan of head shots though anyway (depending on position), but neck shots put them down with authority too. In that environment, I'd rather not have heavy weight pass throughs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.