223 at 1000 yards?

dakor

I am wondering if anyone is shooting the 223 at 1000 yards with the 70gr and 80gr bullets? What twist would you need for a 75gr A-max or 80gr SMK? Would an 8 twist work? This would be just for punching paper at this distance.

I know some shooters are using the 223 for the VHAs factory class during the 600 yd IBS shoots.During the Aug match last year a shooter using a Savage 223 took high score and overall agg. with it (against some very noteable shooters).Since the 1-9" twist was the fastest twist available from Savage at that time,I assume thats what he had (was shooting Bergers,weight unknown).
For 2007,Savage is producing a couple 223 models that will be available with a 1-7" twist (the VLP & LRPV) that should shoot even longer bullets than what youve stated.Might be worth a try in a factory class shoot where very little or no modifications are allowed,although Im a little hesitant to say so at 1000 yds.Thats a little farther than Ive had any practical experience shooting so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have got the LRPV in 223 with 1-7 twist on order from Savage now. I get to buy one a year at a good price as a Hunter Ed instructor ($565) shipped. I am planning on the using the Amax to start or maybe Bergers.

BH

8 twist will work up to 80s. 90s would be the real ticket and are what I use at 1000. Shoot really well at 1000 with them. I'm in a 20 inch tube 223, takes 6.5 twist to stabilize, 7 will not do it. Longer tube though might make it with 7.

Jeff

90's are way too finicky...req'd twist will make it hard to shoot anything else precisely.

I have an 8tw 223 AI I am playing with now for out to 1K...plan to look at these first:

80SMK
75Amax
75 Berger VLD

JB

Hey Bounty Hunter, just wondering about the hunter ed instructor deal. I too am an HE instructor, is that special per state or is it nationwide?

Thanks in advance

ps...thanks for teaching safety to the next generation too

90s too finicky.... have shot knots in every barrel I"ve had for them in 223 so far save on PN that was not a good tube all around, IE no bullets.

AS to other projectiles in 6.5 twist 20 inch tube 223 Holliger chamber..... I can shoot ANYTHING from 52 bthps up to the 90s with no issues and all submoa. No bullet blow ups. Doesn't sound like the twist affects things much at all.
AND the 6.5 twist Pac Nor 3 grooves shoot the 80 range of bullets so well that many tubed up with 6.5s instead of 7s, and have no intention of touching a 90 ever, only 80s.
Of course I"m talking highpower and not BR stuff, not sure where you are going, and of course I've only burned up about 15K of the 90s and only about 6 tubes so far so my experiences are only subjective at the moment.

Amax would be my last choice unless they have QC and tip issues under control these days. Good lots were great, bad lots are, well not worth shooting.

Jeff

223 at 1000yards and beyond

I have been shooting a 223 at 1000 yards and beyond for some time, and my best reuslts have been with a 26 inch, 1/9 twist with 70-75 grain match, VLD and AMAX designs. I acheive 3000 fps in the long tube and a slower powder with BR primers. My throat is longer than normal, so the longer 75 AMAX and Berger VLDs can be seated out. Watch the VLDs, as you will have to play with the seating depth more closely to achieve the best accuracy. The high .43-.46 BC's and 3000fps are comp with a 270 Win and 130 BTs, and I have no trouble holding my own or beating some larger caliber shooters. F-class places the 223 in the target class for 1000 yards.

For fun shooting that improves competition performance, we often have "soda can" shoots or dynamite shoots at distances that reach 800 yards. Then some of us go for the 2 liter red water pop bottles out to 1000 meters. This can be tough with the high winds in Western CO, but it is aload of fun. We have upper torso steel gongs out to 1240yds and 1500yds, and if I do my part, the 75's will hit more than miss. However, they are subsonic at this range and accuracy suffers.

223's at long range are loads of fun, cheaper than larger appetite calibers, easier on the shoulder for extended shoots, and it is just plain exciting to watch that little caliber reach out over the horizon.

Next, play with a target .22LR at 300- 400 yards to improve your shooting skills at 800-1000. Ballistics are similar and it is much cheaper.

You may want to punch out the balistics on a calculator to see if you can keep it supersonic. Shooting a Sierra 77 gr you need to break 3000 fps to keep it supersonic at 1000. But the Sierra 80 grain you can easily keep above mach one to 1000 at 2780 fps muzzel. Not much advantage to go to the 90 grain balistically speaking in a 223 because you just cant push it fast enough to make much difference.

hey guys just found this thread. i was just wondering what ES and SD you are getting to use a 223 at 1000yrds.was just looking at numbers and just 10fps difference is around 4inchs drop difference at 1000. im trying to get a load to shoot bunnies at 600.
thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.