223 and vld

jaysss

Hello everyone. I know people say don't do it and some people say go ahead. I don't care if you think its ethical to shoot deer with a 223. What I want to know is 70 grain bergers on deer. I shoot a REM 700p top with badger hazard and rings and nightforce. I have been shooting a long time and regularly shoot to 800. That being said I'm not trying to shoot 800 yards at deer. I just know the vld is a hard bullet and wanted some first hand or educated or real world experience on this matter. Not neck shots. I already know what that will do. 223 70 grain vld 3100 with 26 grains of varget.

It is in my rifle, but my rifle kind of likes everything....so far.

Its a savage I rebarreled with a shilen, droped in a choate tactical, added a rifle basics trigger, and put in a CDI mag system. It is a honey.

But from what i hear from others the 70 gr are accurate for them as well, hopefully there will be a few more chime in here. Also, the 70gr can be loaded to mag length, they are not terribly long. Nothing like the 75gr. I havent tried them on fur/hair yet....

TKS
JPB

I can get in the .3 range with every bullet I shoot an better with most of them. My pet loads are 52 smk with 23 grn RE7 and the 70 berger vld 26 varget. I can shoot bughole 3 shot groups with hornady 75 bthp match but isn't as accurate at longer range 600 and farther. The 52 smk bthp shoots 2 in groups at 600 but tumbled past that

I'm sure I'll get some flak but I've dropped a few furry ones with a 75gn Hornady BTSP with 335 behind it. 223's are all about bullet placement and if the gun is a good accurate shooter, why not. I have a tack driver so it's all good.

I plan on using it this year over extended doe season here in Michigan, as usual.

No, it's not an AR platform.:)

I sold my 308 and my 300 with intentions of buying another 300 in a 700p cause I like them so much. The guy I shoot with has a 300 in the 700p the is extremely accurate and I like the way they feel straight out the box. The only thing I don't like is the trigger even with adjusting it I don't like it but that's a simple fix. Anyway I ended up having knee surgery and could buy the new rifle and that put me hunt long lanes on public land cause I lost my deer lease also. I have other deer rifles but just don't enjoy shooting them any more and accuracy past 300 isn't there even with my reloads

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.