.223 ammo in a 1:12 barrel

Aired out .223

I just started doing my own hand loads, and was wondering how heavy of a bullet I can shoot out of a Remington SPS .223 heavy barrel rifle. What are some of the brands and styles being used ? I want to shoot in the 600 + range.

I just started doing my own hand loads, and was wondering how heavy of a bullet I can shoot out of a Remington SPS .223 heavy barrel rifle. What are some of the brands and styles being used ? I want to shoot in the 600 + range.

aired-out....hate to break it to you, but unless you're very lucky, your rifle will not shoot well much beyond 400.

I have the very same rifle and it shoots 55 grain bullets just fine. It maintains accuracy at 400. When I moved to 600 I was just wasting ammo. A friend handed me some 77grain match bullets and the 12 twist is not fast enough to stabilize that bullet. My rifle just flung them all over the place.

I haven't tried 60-62 grain bullets, but the conventional wisdom still says they are not heavy enough to go 600+.

In order to shoot 600+ you will need an 8 twist barrel and shoot heavy bullets.....Check out this article....

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.