.223 ammo in a 1:12 barrel

Aired out .223

I just started doing my own hand loads, and was wondering how heavy of a bullet I can shoot out of a Remington SPS .223 heavy barrel rifle. What are some of the brands and styles being used ? I want to shoot in the 600 + range.

trebark

I just started doing my own hand loads, and was wondering how heavy of a bullet I can shoot out of a Remington SPS .223 heavy barrel rifle. What are some of the brands and styles being used ? I want to shoot in the 600 + range.
aired-out....hate to break it to you, but unless you're very lucky, your rifle will not shoot well much beyond 400.

I have the very same rifle and it shoots 55 grain bullets just fine. It maintains accuracy at 400. When I moved to 600 I was just wasting ammo. A friend handed me some 77grain match bullets and the 12 twist is not fast enough to stabilize that bullet. My rifle just flung them all over the place.

I haven't tried 60-62 grain bullets, but the conventional wisdom still says they are not heavy enough to go 600+.

In order to shoot 600+ you will need an 8 twist barrel and shoot heavy bullets.....Check out this article....

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce