223/5.56 Sub Sonic Loads

Noveske switchblock-- Std, sup, and off

But why would you only want 3 rather than a multi position- fully tunable one?

An adjustable has block only won't make his subs cycle--- he would need to drill out/enlarge the gas port to make it cycle with subs, then cut back the gas with an adj block for his supers---- lots of people aren't willing to start drilling the gas orifice in their barrels, it scares them

I think the best solution is to build or buy a 300 blackout upper if you want to shoot subsonic in your AR. You could waste a bunch of time and money on exchanging the gas block, buffer spring, powder, bullets and primers and may never get your AR 5.56 to work well for both 2800 FPS and 1100 FPS.

I've played around a lot with subsonic 308 and came to the conclusion that I was better off with something better for the job. I've gone to 300 blk and 9mm for subsonic stuff; it is just so easy, so much cheaper, and it runs well.

Your trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Get the right tool for the job and buy or pickup a 300 BO upper.

Not sure if some of y'all noticed it or not but he said he had a whole separate SBR for the subs. The way I understood him, he means to use the SBR for subs only and the complete 20 in. barrel rifle for coyotes and hogs as he has always done.

Not sure if some of y'all noticed it or not but he said he had a whole separate SBR for the subs. The way I understood him, he means to use the SBR for subs only and the complete 20 in. barrel rifle for coyotes and hogs as he has always done.
Thanks for all that replied to help me out. I didn't expect to get all the responses.
I modified a 223/5.56 pistol into a SBR to use for CC. (collapsible stock , front hand grip, Echo Tech, YHM Can). It's piston so I have several different "plugs" I made for use with or without a suppressor and also being able to cycle. As you can imagine it's a flame thrower with a 9 1/8" barrel without the can and VERY LOUD!
Yes going subsonic <1,100fps is almost like using a 22 LR. I just wanted to do another use with trying to be real quiet. We already have enough rifles/pistols to do any type of hunting, this is just something I thought I would try. We live in an area where there is not any worry about noise or shooting. we shoot off my back deck and out of the garage plus have a 100 yrd range in the back property.
Just wanted to see if I could load some cartridges up if I wanted to shoot at close range and have no noticeable rifle report with still an effective kill power. I will still use it loaded with 26.8gr of H4895 & SGK 65gr for hunting hogs in the bush or tracking a wounded animal.
Thanks again for all your input!
Len & Jill

Thanks for all that replied to help me out. I didn't expect to get all the responses.
I modified a 223/5.56 pistol into a SBR to use for CC. (collapsible stock , front hand grip, Echo Tech, YHM Can). It's piston so I have several different "plugs" I made for use with or without a suppressor and also being able to cycle. As you can imagine it's a flame thrower with a 9 1/8" barrel without the can and VERY LOUD!
Yes going subsonic <1,100fps is almost like using a 22 LR. I just wanted to do another use with trying to be real quiet. We already have enough rifles/pistols to do any type of hunting, this is just something I thought I would try. We live in an area where there is not any worry about noise or shooting. we shoot off my back deck and out of the garage plus have a 100 yrd range in the back property.
Just wanted to see if I could load some cartridges up if I wanted to shoot at close range and have no noticeable rifle report with still an effective kill power. I will still use it loaded with 26.8gr of H4895 & SGK 65gr for hunting hogs in the bush or tracking a wounded animal.
Thanks again for all your input!
Len & Jill
I would be interested to hear how your results are. I have a Sig P556 which is a Sig 556 piston 10" barrel 556. I will become an SBR once I have the paperwork, with a folding stock. Good luck and let's know results

Let us know how the H4895 works out. I've used it in reduced supersonic loads, never really thought about using it in a smaller case for subsonic.

Let us know how the H4895 works out. I've used it in reduced supersonic loads, never really thought about using it in a smaller case for subsonic.
I am going to use "Pistol Powder" for the subsonic loads. The H4895 is for regular loads, but I did see some information years ago where H-4895 was used in subsonic loads. I won't try 4895 until I get some valid info on it. I don't want to damage or hurt myself. That's the whole point of this post. MY SAFETY! Learning through other's experience & knowledge. There is a heck of a lot of members that know much much more than me.
In any case, I will post my results. Hopefully get some gelatin and crono to see the expansion at subsonic.
maybe a while so don't hold your breath.
Thanks
Len

I have seen people posting in other forums, but if I don't know of them I am not ready to try any of those loads

Last edited: