.222 Remington

jski

Just inherited a Ruger #1 chambered in .222 Remington. Absolutely beautiful weapon. Two questions:

What's the max effective range of the cartridge?

What's the max effective range of the gun?

1610776874631.jpeg

Beautiful rifle and, lucky you, it's a 222!

Whatever you can hit with the 223, you can hit with the 222, minus perhaps a few yards. Stating the obvious, the 22 calibers are all susceptible to wind drift which limits their real-world range ( but makes it more fun, for some twisted individuals who like playing with the wind!)

I have a couple of Sako L461 Vixens in the 222 chambering and 1 in 222 Magnum. The effective ranges are 300-400yrds on still days and 250ish in the wind. I only run a 50gr SP in all 3. Ballistic Tips buck the wind better, but I limit my shots to around 250 on the small game we have, rabbits and foxes.
Very nice rifle, I am envious.

Cheers.

Great looking rifle.
Small Rifle Br Primer, 50 gr. Spire Point or 50 Gr. V-max and proper charge of IMR 4198 for rifle, Makes a great 250 yd. varmint load.
Good Luck with your new adventure.

It'll be for my wife who loves precision shooting. It's the perfect round for that purpose, she's not fond of recoil.

50 grain soft points or 52 grain hollow points go with a 222 like vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Hyper accurate and just plain fun to shoot. You wife will enjoy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.