222, 223, 220, 22 BR, 22-250, 22 Creed

I have two 22BR barrels for my Tikka done with the standard .050 reamer. They are 1-7 Bartliens and I shot the 88gr ELDM at 3000-3150 with Varget, H4895, Rl16, and 4166. I sold my standard reamer and if I order an new one it will have a .274-.275 neck and a .100-.130 freebore. There is a good discussion on another forum about reamer specs for heavier bullets. I shot a few 90gr A-Tips and they were pretty amazing. They are being used a lot in the 22 GT for PRS.

I shot one season of local PRS matches with the first barrel, it has 1800 rounds on it and still at .25 moa. When doing load development, I shot two three shot groups at 412 yards that were .38" and .257".

I ran about 20 of the 53gr V-Max through my first barrel over 32gr of Varget and had them going 3600 fps out of the 26" barrel suppressed. They hit the 400 yard plate pretty hard. I have considered cutting my first barrel back to 18-20" from the breech end and having it re-chambered with a different reamer for a handier coyote calling rifle.

Len, wasskeet and I gave you the same answer in different ways, but I'm going to change mine. Mine was on my personal preference and experience, and that could get you broke. If i was in your shoes, I would get on the internet and look at what you can get custom rifles and prefits for. Tally them all up and pick the 3-4 most available. Those are the ones I think you want. I think the .223 is a given. I still like the idea of one of them being a real hot rod at the other end also. Then maybe something in between? But, listen to me and maybe one of them you will never use. Maybe I'll just get you to make me one out of it. Remember, I am the guy with a toasted .224TTH barrel. Never met another fool that owns one. I have heard they exist, but I have never actually seen one. that thing is firecracked so bad I swear you can see some of them from the outside LOL, but it still shoots pretty good.
Orange Dust, you just met one . I built my 22-6mm in 2017.
Been a struggle shooting it (1-9 twist). But now there's Hammers!
Talked with Steve and going to buy/try his bullets!

Len, I'll throw this one out there, with your name what it is and all. What about a reamer for a true fur rifle? Has to be .17 cal and has to be a real fire breather. Has to handle 30gr bullets. .17Rem, .17Predator, .17-204. this is a place to really show off craftsmanship. Put together a well shooting .17 and you can build a rifle. You might not be able to sell one to anyone but me, but don't let that stop you...
Mine is a 1-8 and it loves 75gr Swift's. They say it shoots flat to 300yds, then it rises a little. LOL

Len, I'll throw this one out there, with your name what it is and all. What about a reamer for a true fur rifle? Has to be .17 cal and has to be a real fire breather. Has to handle 30gr bullets. .17Rem, .17Predator, .17-204. this is a place to really show off craftsmanship. Put together a well shooting .17 and you can build a rifle. You might not be able to sell one to anyone but me, but don't let that stop you...

Mine is a 1-8 and it loves 75gr Swift's. They say it shoots flat to 300yds, then it rises a little. LOL
Yep, should have done a 1-8!!!

If you want something different, try 224 Valkyrie. I Have one in AR-15 and the other bolt..Of course this requires a different bolt head..Load 80.5 grain Bergers with great accuracy

I have a friend with a 22-243 and a 9 twist. His loves 68gr Hornadys. He could not get anything heavier to shoot. I think 8 twist is a good balance.

I realize you guys are centerfire, but if you want a different experience you should take a look at the .17WSM. I have the Savage B-Mag and use it on my place where a long shot is 250yds. It is devastating on groundhogs and Winchester says it will take a Coyote to 300yds. It is at least 50% or better in every comparison to the .17HMR. Ammo is based on the construction 28ga blank necked down to .17. 3,000fps muzzle. Ammo is loaded by everyone and runs about $15/50.

Attachments

• B Mag.JPG
    B Mag.JPG
    860.2 KB · Views: 51
  • .17WSM  Savage B Mag 002.JPG
    .17WSM Savage B Mag 002.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 45
When my Valkyrie is either burnt out or I sell it I will be going 22gt. There's brand new brass available and I think it's a great happy medium round as far as long barrel life and speed with easier load development than a Valkyrie. Valkyries can be a bit touchy to reload for.

I realize you guys are centerfire, but if you want a different experience you should take a look at the .17WSM. I have the Savage B-Mag and use it on my place where a long shot is 250yds. It is devastating on groundhogs and Winchester says it will take a Coyote to 300yds. It is at least 50% or better in every comparison to the .17HMR. Ammo is based on the construction 28ga blank necked down to .17. 3,000fps muzzle. Ammo is loaded by everyone and runs about $15/50.
I had one and loved it for varmints and fur. Should have never sold it.