.221 fireball

My 221FB shoots around .28'' groups @ 100yds with my prairie dog load using 35gr Berger JHPs and IMR4227 pdr.. Certainly not benchrest accuracy, but adequate enough for PDS.. Jarrett lmproved the gun with an older style Shilen trigger that required addition of the original Remington safety. He also added a Pachmyer Decelerator pad... About the only upgrades left would be to square/blueprint the action/barrel and pillar bed it... Any other MODS would completely CHANGE the whole gun... That's NOT going to happen... lts light weight and handling are what made me choose the gun in the first place... l have a couple VLS models that are longer and heavier... l like my LVSF 'AS IS'-- Short and Slim!!

Last edited:
Just wanted to see what all handloads every one likes to use and farthest kill shots made with one?

Remington 700 SA blueprinted, 24" rock creek barrel 1-14" twist, Boyd's stock, sightron 2.5-17.5x56

Initial break in load: Remington brass, Remington #71/2 primer, 15 grain little gun powder, Hornady 40 grain v-max
3,500 fps
View attachment 138753
The best load I have shot with my .221 is .126 with 18.1 grains of Reloader 10x with a 52 grain Nosler competition H.P. With the 40 grain V-Max and Hodgdon CFE-BLK and Accurate 1680 I can shoot low .300 groups all day at 3500 FPS. The longest shot on an animal was 340 yards. The 52 grain Nosler dropped the coyote stone dead. My .221 has a 10 twist 23" barrel. It will shoot up to a 69 grain bullet and it will shoot groups in the .300 or better with all bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.