220g SMK load for 300 RUM?

remingtonman_25_06

I have been trying to find a good load with the 220g SMK out of my .300 RUM. Initial 100 yard tests indicated the longer OAL, the more accurate they were. I tested 2 loads each with H-1000. 82.4g gave me a 1" group at 2785fps with an OAL=3.66" The 3 shots were spread out evenly horizontaly. The other load tested was 82.4g of H-1000 with an OAL of 3.67" Same thing, just seated out a touch farther. 2 shots were basically in same hole with a flyer about 1 inch away. The problem I run into is that 3.67" is about the max length they can be and just barely fit in the magazine. The bad part then is that every shot batters the tips and makes them flat. Even at 3.66" they do that. This is suppose to be Sierra's #1 accuracy load, according to them anyways. I was looking on accuratereloading.com and they use H-1000 with very impressive results. They are getting 3000+fps with sub 1/2" groups. Thats what I am looking for. One small problem I found was the difference in starting points for this particular bullet/powder combo. Sierra lists that 82.4g is the MAX load, while on accuratereloading, they start at around 84g and work there way up to like 92g for 3050fps or so. I just went with Sierra for now. I didn't get to extensive yet because I got in a bad car accident a week ago that totaled my truck. So am dealing with that right now. Just mainly looking for some feedback of others who have used the 220g SMK and the results you've got with what powders, etc. Thanks.

I've been shooting the 300 RUM in a Rem Sendero for a couple of years now. My bullet of choice is the 220 SMK at this point although I want to give the 200 Accubond a go this year. I've also got some 230 gr Wildcat Bullets to try also. I've got my best (Sub-MOA) groups with Retumbo and H-1000. but the rounds are genrally too long for the Mag in any case. I seat .005 to .010 off the lands which gives me an OAL of 3.751 with the 220 SMK (.005) which is way too long for the Mag. My best Accuracy loads are:

Retumbo: 90.5 gr, Fed 215, 5 shot group avg vel of 2955 fps with 1/2 MOA accuracy

H-1000: 91.5 gr, Fed 210M, 5 shot group avg vel of 3066 with .8 MOA accuracy

THESE LOADS ARE MAX IN MY RIFLE AND SHOULD BE BACKED OFF 10% TO START.

I should note that the H-1000 is the 'old' stuff. I found that pressures increase when using the newer 'EXTREME' version for some reason. I also had better consistency using the Fed 210M primer then with the 215 with the H-1000 but didn't find a lot of difference with the Retumbo.I've also found that is you push the 220 SMK much faster then 3000 fps accuracy tends to drop off. Hope this helps!

the 220 is all i shoot out of my rum, sitting 90.0 grs of retumbo behind it. h-1000 shot nice as well, but i got faster speed out of the retumbo, with 90grs registering 3050 on the chrono i used.

-brian

Thanks for the reply's. Retumbo looks like the way to go. Ever since I've had this rifle, I've used H-1000 for everything. Time to try something new if it might work a little better. Have you guys shot these loads around 500 yards or more? If so, what was the accuracy like? I wont be able to buy any Retumbo for about a week or so, but I will try to work up or around your 90g's of Retumbo. Mountain Man, what was your OAL?

Have you guys shot these loads around 500 yards or more?
YUP. WHOLE WAY OUT TO 1K.

If so, what was the accuracy like?
FARTHEST GROUP SHOOTING WAS 800YDS. HAVE SEVERAL 5 SHOT 3/4 MOA GROUPS AT THAT RANGE.

Mountain Man, what was your OAL?
HA HA.....UUUHHHH.......LONG? TRUTHFULLY I DONT MEASURE OAL AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS. I LOAD A ROUND LONG AND SEAT IT WITH THE LANDS, THEN BACK IT OFF JUST A TAD. I HAVE A DUMMY ROUND JUST IN CASE, BUT ONCE MY DIE IS SET, I NEVER WORRY ABOUT MEASURING- JUST SET THEM AND GO. WITH ME ONLY SHOOTING 220'S OUT OF THAT GUN, I NEVER TO ADJUST THE DIE. I DO KNOW THEY'RE LONG ENOUGH THAT THEY WONT FIT INTO THE MAG, BUT ITS ONLY A TARGET AND LRH GUN ANYWAY, SO IT DOESNT BOTHER ME.

-BRIAN

[ 04-28-2004: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts