220 swift......WHOA!!!!!

Ccctennis

Just bought a 220 swift from my local gun store. I spent the afternoon trying to sight in at 50 yards before I stretch it out to longer ranges. I got a 6-24x42mm varmint scope on it. I shot hornady 55grain v-max rounds. After putting 20 rounds through it I had created a 6 foot long trench in the backyard where the bullets buried themselves! WhoA! Decided to move my target to avoid tearing up the yard. Shot another 4 rounds and noticed my rounds hit the target and also my 4x4 fence post beyond it! The round went completey through the fence post and blew out the entire back! If I would have shot 3-4 more rounds I would cut it in half!

Love this gun! Can't wait to work up some maximum loads and see what else I can shoot it through. Glad I got this instead of 22-250!

I have had both a .220 Swift and a .22-250. 250 was a real nice Rem 7 custom that had been built by my local smith, but had been used on a prairiedog hunt so the barrel was shot out before I ever got it, so I rebarreled it to a .308 Win. The .220 was a Ruger 77 200th Anniversary that had a nice wood stock & bull barrel. It was nasty. You could pick off birds on stumps @ 300 yards, but traded it to a guy who worked with me for the above mentioned .22-250 b/c I wanted a .308 and his gun was custom built and used the Rem 7 SA with the same bolt face as the .308, so all I had to do was a simple re-barrel...Which I did later. I probably put 200 rounds through the .22-250 before the barrel finally wouldn't group 2 shots together unless it was by luck...

Fyi, with modern powders, the 22-250 is faster with 50grn and lighter pills and head to head with the heavys, and with less powder and longer barrel life. I have shot a 40grn Nosler BT through a 70ft long single wide, from end to end, 5 walls and exited the useless ac unit on the other end with a hole about the size of a softball. That's a 40grn at 4280fps with 35.5grns of powder. The swift case is to big for a 22cal, it works better in a slightly modified version as a 6mm rem or 257roberts.

I have shot a 40grn Nosler BT through a 70ft long single wide, from end to end, 5 walls and exited the useless ac unit on the other end with a hole about the size of a softball.

You can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the boy. Funnier hell, sounds like something I might do.:D

As a matter of fact we had quite a few trailers, my grandfather owned a trailer park, that just happened to be one that was drug out into the field and hasn't been stripped yet. A 7mm rm with a 162amaxs at 3035fps really is fun to let the daylight in with! Yeah, I'm a little redneck, oh well:D.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.