220 swift whats a good off the shelf brand and what grain

bigrich954rr

what grain would be good to shoot at the longer distances i was thinking the 50 grain brand winchester super X pointed soft point any info is welcome

bigrich954rr,
I love a 220swift, but mine will not shoot a factory load. My rifle steadfastly refuses to shoot unless the bullet is touching the lands. then it just loves 41.5 gr of win760 with a 55gr nos. bal tip at 3825
B

yea i would love to hand load but i cant right now so i was looking for a few good off the shelf brands to try and hope for the best where would be a good place online to buy from

Big~

It doesn't do you much good if you have already bought, but the 220 Swift has never been a good caliber for factory shooters. I own two, and neither has ever seen anything but handloads.

If you have not bought yet, I'd suggest that you think about a 22-250, instead. That cartridge does seem to have a beter selection of loaded ammunition.

Best advice is to get into handloading right away; you will never be sorry. You also will probably never "save money" handloading, but you will be a more intelligent shooter.

Good luck, LB

i own my swift but where i live i cant reload i can have ammo and guns but no reloading in my building so till i move its factory loads i have a rem 700vss gun what gain bullet should i try lighter or heavy or just buy a box of every one

bigrich If you cant reload in your building, might I suggest you join a local club go to the local gun range to see if you can meet some guys who reload. Get to know them and they might help you out with the reloading. And when you do get into reloading, W760 with all bullet weights works for my 220 swift.

Bigrich ,
Was out recently and saw a bloke put 4 Winchester 55gn pointed soft points into a 90 pound kangaroo's chest at 45 yards with his .22/250 . He then walked up and whilst it was still standing shot it in the head from close range .
They would have to be the worst projectiles available I reckon . Nothing he shot (bigger than a rabbit) all night went down with one shot . They might kill praire dogs?

[ 11-05-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

Aussie, apparently, game here in the States are a little easier to kill.
smile.gif

I don't want to be put in the position of defending Winchester cartridges. Actually, I have never used them, my point being that the 55 grain bullets, in the only factory ammunition I could think of, off hand, is by far the best choice. I think I have as much experience with this caliber since the mid seventies, as almost anyone, and if it is used intelligently, I believe it's one of the best 22 centerfires available as a factory chambering. Since I have never fired a single factory cartridge in either of my Swifts, I cannot give testimony. But the risk seems overstated.

Your example seems the rare incident, about like the time I emptied an entire magazine of 45ACP Ball into the frontal area of a coyote and still had to dispatch him with a large rock. I wouldn't cite that event as indicative of the killing ability of my Combat Commander, under normal circumstances.

As I said previously, this gentleman should consider handloading and then we may offer 20 or 30 suitable bullets, as a starting point. That statement I will defend.

Good hunting. LB

My VSSF puts the federal premium loads with the 52gr SMK into tiny little groups. They are by far the best factory loads I have found between the following

Norma 50gr sp
rem 50gr NBT's (2nd best)
win supreme BST's
hornady 40gr vmax moly
hornady 55gr vmax moly
federal prem 52gr SMK.

LB ,
I know what you mean about rare incidents but unfortunately for the dozen or so roos culled using that projectile on the particular evening in question it proved not to be . Almost all required at least one follow up shot . That doesn't happen with a .22/250 or Swift using good projectiles . I think the 55gn PSP's were just too hard and went straight thru without much expansion .I had the same thing happen to me a few times with the 60gn Hornady hollow point out of my .22/250 and stopped using them for that reason .
JustC might have the answer anyway . From what I have seen most rifles shoot the 52gn Sierra MK pretty well .
I have found it to be an effective projectile on game too .
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.