220 Swift load

Daniel Hall

Has anyone got a good 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip load for my 40-X? I'm wanting to change from my normal 4000 F.P.S. 50 gr. ballistic tip load to a load with 55 gr. ballistic tips. Hopefully in the 3850 to 3950 F.P.S. range. Any ideas???

Never thought i'd do this....

I shoot 37g IMR3031 w/210M or WLR primers. Mine is a fact 700 VS SFP so it's loose. 3700fps in an "effectivly 22 inch" barrel. Ported you loose a bunch to the overbore.

My swift is now improved but when it wasn't I shot 39 gr. RL 15 with a 26 inch barrel and got 3950 fps with 55NBT's. With this load I could get get 6-8 reloads, I have pushed them a little faster but primer pockets loosen quickly.

Daniel,

I am not sure on the C.O.L.

The groups with RL 15 were the best out of all the powders I tested, about .5 inch. But my gun does not really like the 55gr. bullets as it is a 16 twist and is seen best with the lighter bullets. I use RL 15 for 50gr bullets also. I am not sure what kind of game you are after (PD's, Paper, or deer) but the most accurate 55gr. bullet I have shot is the 55grFMJ sierra and I shoot everthing with it, plus they are cheep, often <$10 a box. I also experience less fouling with this bullet. Just a thought.

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: MTBA ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts