220 Swift AI

I rebarreled my 220 with an 8 twist and now a 7 twist barrel. I'm getting excellent accuracy with 75 gr ELDM bullets @ 3225. Harvested a deer at 504 yards. Complete pass through. I'll never go back to lighter bullets.
That's my plan too once I burn the barrel out I might go with fast twist 22-250. Maybe 7 twist.

I didn't even reach the max load recommended for a 40gn bullet for a standard swift I found in my old Speer manual. I don't know if it helped or hurt, but that Speer manual recommended a magnum primer for that much H380, so I ran a CCI magnum rifle primer.

I have a 220 swift for about 50yrs now. I-14 twist rate. I use 55gr bullets, generally Sierra. Moving at 3900fps with Fed 210 primers, and IMR 4064. I can see a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets.
The loads I am taking about are in older reloading manuals.
With going to much heavier bullet you may want to sept up to and AI chamber.
There isn't Peterson or Lapua brass out there. I don't know it they are even to going to build the 220 swift brass. They do built 22/250 brass in I believe Lapua. I got some for my son.
To get a little more push I would look at going to 22/250AI chamber. That should get you in the velocities, possible are looking for. The 22/250 was built as a none barrel barrel to take the place of the 220 swift. Also read a great many years ago if you slowed the 220 swift down under 4000fps, you got a longer lasting barrel. So that why I settle on a 55gr @ 3900fps. It seem to have work, but not for sure.

I've shot N140 and Varget in my 22-250AI with the 35HH. N140 runs about 200 fps faster than Varget in my rifle. If you really want to fly, get your hands on some IMR 8208 XBR.
really? Wow I might have to try to develop using my N140 next. If I could get to 4300fps without pressure signs I think I could live with that! I mean I have a couple pounds just sitting around anyway!

I have a 220 swift for about 50yrs now. I-14 twist rate. I use 55gr bullets, generally Sierra. Moving at 3900fps with Fed 210 primers, and IMR 4064. I can see a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets.
The loads I am taking about are in older reloading manuals.
With going to much heavier bullet you may want to sept up to and AI chamber.
There isn't Peterson or Lapua brass out there. I don't know it they are even to going to build the 220 swift brass. They do built 22/250 brass in I believe Lapua. I got some for my son.
To get a little more push I would look at going to 22/250AI chamber. That should get you in the velocities, possible are looking for. The 22/250 was built as a none barrel barrel to take the place of the 220 swift. Also read a great many years ago if you slowed the 220 swift down under 4000fps, you got a longer lasting barrel. So that why I settle on a 55gr @ 3900fps. It seem to have work, but not for sure.
I just want to see for now what kinda speeds I can get out of the 220 swift AI. After I re-barrel I don't know If I want to fireform anymore. Maybe a standard 22-250 or maybe 22CM for heavy bullets for long range. Maybe even go with 6br and 105gn just to get maximum barrel life. Dad was the Barrel burner in the family! I just figure if someone gives you a top fuel dragster why take it for a Sunday drive?

I've shot N140 and Varget in my 22-250AI with the 35HH. N140 runs about 200 fps faster than Varget in my rifle. If you really want to fly, get your hands on some IMR 8208 XBR.
I have really good luck with 8208 XBR in my 204's and standard twist 22-250's and AI versions. Accuracy is my first concern and its been a champ there.

I just want to see for now what kinda speeds I can get out of the 220 swift AI. After I re-barrel I don't know If I want to fireform anymore. Maybe a standard 22-250 or maybe 22CM for heavy bullets for long range. Maybe even go with 6br and 105gn just to get maximum barrel life. Dad was the Barrel burner in the family! I just figure if someone gives you a top fuel dragster why take it for a Sunday drive?
Folks don't buy 220 Swifts or the AI version if they plan on driving in the slow line. Barrels are a consumable just in the way that powder and primers are. I generally get around 1200 rounds in my 22-250AI which I drive line a hot rod Lincoln. I've thought about going with a fast twist barrel every time I need a new one but pushing the 35HH over 4870 fps with 1/2 moa accuracy is too much fun to give up. Obviously, light and fast bullets are not well suited for long range, but any groundhog within 500 yards is in some serious peril.

Folks don't buy 220 Swifts or the AI version if they plan on driving in the slow line. Barrels are a consumable just in the way that powder and primers are. I generally get around 1200 rounds in my 22-250AI which I drive line a hot rod Lincoln. I've thought about going with a fast twist barrel every time I need a new one but pushing the 35HH over 4870 fps with 1/2 moa accuracy is too much fun to give up. Obviously, light and fast bullets are not well suited for long range, but any groundhog within 500 yards is in some serious peril.
What's your load? That's some impressive speed, any pressure signs? I have a hard time finding load info.

44.7 grains IMR 8208 XBR. I'm getting some slight primer flattening, but that tends to happen with the TC Encore even with moderate loads. I have loads for the 35 and 44 HH on the hammer hunter load data post.

I can run QL for you. Just supply COAL, case capacity, bullet, and powder.

Anyone try the 51gr AH in their Swift AI? I'm putting one together and was thinking of using that bullet.

44.7 grains IMR 8208 XBR. I'm getting some slight primer flattening, but that tends to happen with the TC Encore even with moderate loads. I have loads for the 35 and 44 HH on the hammer hunter load data post.

I can run QL for you. Just supply COAL, case capacity, bullet, and powder.
QL Won't Work

Recent Posts