220 Swift AI

I got a question for you speed freaks out there... I just got an old hand me down Ruger 77 with a heart 24 inch 14 twist 220 Swift 40deg AI. I am going to shoot a couple deer with it next year. I really need to shoot some more deer next year as they are overrunning my property here in MO. My family got 5 this year and now there's more than when we started. I think this old rifle might make things fun.
I want to try out a Hammer bullet, but which one would be best given 200 yards as max range? Maybe a starting load and powder recommendation once I have the fireformed brass (I have plenty of Varget and 52gr SMK for the task). I have AR-comp, N140, Varget, and H380 on hand.
Do I need to stick to the 33gr hammers or run something a little beefier? I know the oddball deer can be pretty tough.
I keep hearing speed kills, and like any hillbilly scientist I wish to test this hypothesis! :)
I've shot a few Deer with the .220 Swift and found that the 55gr bullet worked quite well, and was about the top of the weight limit for my barrel twist. I also shoot a .224 Weatherby Mag in a 1-14' twist. The .224 WM 50gr bullet is where my accuracy is best and the twist and weight limit for it.

So going through P.O Ackley manual, volume I page 283 .220 Swift standard one... he finds no decent return in performance by going to a 40 degree improved cartridge, his words, not mine, which he stated again in P.O Ackley manual, volume I, on page 285 .220 Swift Improved (AI) showing it highest load with a 50gr bullet being 4100 fps in the (AI) He showed the highest load for the standard .220 Swift with a 50gr bullet as 4050 fps... essentially no real gain.

One other fact that is very interesting about the .220 Swift is P.O's work on penetration, pitting the .220 Swift, .270 Win 100gr, and .30-06 Springfield G.I AP against each other, again in P.O Ackley manual, volume I page 83

P.O's first book/manual P.O Ackley Handbook for shooters and reloaders page 65 #15 says he thinks it's extremely deadly on Deer, well... all I can talk about is the couple I've killed with one, and it anchored them with the first round, now... to be far these were Whitetails and the longest shot as I recall was just over 300 yards with a 55gr bullets.
As for P.O Ackley manuals, volume II... is just volume I... 2.0 a few added cartridges in volume II not many,... same, same a bit more on the .17 cal's in volume II
Good luck... Cheers

I found a load for the 22-250 and a 45 grain lead free for AR-comp and their max load was already over 4K. I am wondering if their max load would be a good place to start, or if it might be too low of pressure?

Not true. In the latest update they have all the Hammer profiles in there. So far it has been accurate within 2-3% of calculated velocity.
Ive also contacted Gordon at GRT and Steve to get info to GRT to get hammers in there as well. Steve said he would reach out to Gordon but havent heard anything since. I get better results from GRT than QL.

update.. I ran into pressure I feel a bit too early. I got to 4265FPS With 35gn HH.
Load was 44.5gn of H380 under 35gn hammer.
The rifle in previous shots had almost no recoil, then it made a huge jump in recoil and noise and flattened primer all the way to the edge. The previous load- 44gn was 4114fps so it made a big jump in velocity too!
first thing I did was to do a full deep clean, and then with copper solvent. The previous bullets were molly coated and bore might have had added resistance due to residue?
Maybe I should try some Varget next. 4114 just doesn't seem like that should be it.

I've heard of guys getting away with running the 44gr in a 14 twist when pushed over 4000fps. With that much case you should handily hit 4500 with the right powders. Varget has pushed the 35gr hammer to 4550 in my buddies swift so it should work ok in the ackley. N140 would be my next choice out of the powders you have listed.
Do you remember how much Varget he was running? I hope I don't just have a slow shooting barrel.

update.. I ran into pressure I feel a bit too early. I got to 4265FPS With 35gn HH.
Load was 44.5gn of H380 under 35gn hammer.
The rifle in previous shots had almost no recoil, then it made a huge jump in recoil and noise and flattened primer all the way to the edge. The previous load- 44gn was 4114fps so it made a big jump in velocity too!
first thing I did was to do a full deep clean, and then with copper solvent. The previous bullets were molly coated and bore might have had added resistance due to residue?
Maybe I should try some Varget next. 4114 just doesn't seem like that should be it.
What was you case fill with the H380