220 Swift AI

Doghunter23

I got a question for you speed freaks out there... I just got an old hand me down Ruger 77 with a heart 24 inch 14 twist 220 Swift 40deg AI. I am going to shoot a couple deer with it next year. I really need to shoot some more deer next year as they are overrunning my property here in MO. My family got 5 this year and now there's more than when we started. I think this old rifle might make things fun.
I want to try out a Hammer bullet, but which one would be best given 200 yards as max range? Maybe a starting load and powder recommendation once I have the fireformed brass (I have plenty of Varget and 52gr SMK for the task). I have AR-comp, N140, Varget, and H380 on hand.
Do I need to stick to the 33gr hammers or run something a little beefier? I know the oddball deer can be pretty tough.
I keep hearing speed kills, and like any hillbilly scientist I wish to test this hypothesis! :)

I've heard of guys getting away with running the 44gr in a 14 twist when pushed over 4000fps. With that much case you should handily hit 4500 with the right powders. Varget has pushed the 35gr hammer to 4550 in my buddies swift so it should work ok in the ackley. N140 would be my next choice out of the powders you have listed.

I got a question for you speed freaks out there... I just got an old hand me down Ruger 77 with a heart 24 inch 14 twist 220 Swift 40deg AI. I am going to shoot a couple deer with it next year. I really need to shoot some more deer next year as they are overrunning my property here in MO. My family got 5 this year and now there's more than when we started. I think this old rifle might make things fun.
I want to try out a Hammer bullet, but which one would be best given 200 yards as max range? Maybe a starting load and powder recommendation once I have the fireformed brass (I have plenty of Varget and 52gr SMK for the task). I have AR-comp, N140, Varget, and H380 on hand.
Do I need to stick to the 33gr hammers or run something a little beefier? I know the oddball deer can be pretty tough.
I keep hearing speed kills, and like any hillbilly scientist I wish to test this hypothesis! :)
I've been shooting the Swift since the 80's and much as I love it for a varminter and even with all the deer I've shot with one I'd say it's a bit light for those purposes except at relatively close in ranges, below 400 yards in general and I'd probably cut that to 100-200 on those big bodied MO deer.

Your does are big enough to eat native Texas WT's.

If you can put it just below and slightly behind the ear consistently I'd extend that a fair bit further with with the low BC's the 223's have that's no easy task.

EDTA: shooting heavy for caliber mono's you probably really need to talk to the guys at Hammer to see if your twist rate is adequate as most are not because they were really designed for 40-55gr pills and varmint hunting rather than shooting deer. I know I was disappointed to find out I'd need to rebarrel to a much faster twist rate for my Sift to shoot bullets heavier than that class even in cup and core bullets.

I've been shooting the Swift since the 80's and much as I love it for a varminter and even with all the deer I've shot with one I'd say it's a bit light for those purposes except at relatively close in ranges, below 400 yards in general and I'd probably cut that to 100-200 on those big bodied MO deer.

If you can put it just below and slightly behind the ear consistently I'd extend that a fair bit further with with the low BC's the 223's have that's no easy task.

EDTA: shooting heavy for caliber mono's you probably really need to talk to the guys at Hammer to see if your twist rate is adequate as most are not because they were really designed for 40-55gr pills and varmint hunting rather than shooting deer. I know I was disappointed to find out I'd need to rebarrel to a much faster twist rate for my Sift to shoot bullets heavier than that class even in cup and core bullets.
I agree with Rose, your twist rate will determine what bullet you can shoot but push the 33g and it will work great, If you cant shoot them behind the ear as Rose said pin them right behind the shoulder, they are going to run and they wont bleed, just watch what direction they go, they will run in a straight line for about 50 yards and fall over,.

+1 with Rose' comment. I have a 220 Swift in an Encore with a 26" bull barrel that shoots clover leaf groups touching at 100 yds. My HOT LOAD is (please start below and work up) Barnes TSX 45gr Flat Base bullet over 45.8 gr of H380 and CCI primers. This get's me over 4300fps. I am using Frontier Brass (just what I found at the time) but I also have Winchester brass. I would do head shots with this to 200yds and the only real issue is the booger hook shooting the rifle LOL, and wind of course. This was way before any of the newer bullet offerings. Since this is single shot rifle, no extractor, I get flat primers and primer pockets are loose by the 3rd firing. I just don't shoot it as often as I like so I don't worry about brass life. Good Luck.

I agree with Rose, your twist rate will determine what bullet you can shoot but push the 33g and it will work great, If you cant shoot them behind the ear as Rose said pin them right behind the shoulder, they are going to run and they wont bleed, just watch what direction they go, they will run in a straight line for about 50 yards and fall over,.
2" below the ear and midway to the shoulder I've only had one get back up and it was a really fat 350lbs sow shot with the .204 Ruger.

She wasn't real happy when I got to her. 😂

That's why when hog hunting I always carry either the .41RM or .44wm

I'm about to start working up some loads for my Swift. I'm sticking with traditional cup and core bullets.

these are what I'm going to try.
5E898A1D-0007-4465-B03B-ED7AE772E3ED.jpeg

I always go for the meat saver shot, right behind the shoulder as years of bow hunting have instilled in me. I can deal with 50 yards no problem, they won't even make it out of the Hay field that way!
So I think I will try the 35 grain first, as that has a little boat tail. I don't know if the 44gn will fly based off the 1in 12 recommendation.

I think you're right about the range limitations, I wouldn't try a shot further than 200 looks like a calculated 3160FPS and sub 800 Foot pounds at that point, but that's my farthest shot overlooking my field anyway, lucky to see 100 yards clearly anywhere in the big woods timber country.

Could someone do me a favor and run a quickload for 35GN hammer hunter out of the 220 Swift AI 40deg shoulder, with Varget and AR comp?
I read some where that around 4500 you are getting close to maxing out theoretical powder expansion velocity.
and I am thinking that maybe the AR comp might push it faster as it is a faster burning powder.
I just want a starting load and maybe what the bucknaked performance potential might be.
I know I might be reducing a 600 round barrel life down to 300. I never do this but I plan on running it just under where if flattens out primers as long as the accuracy is still there, but I don't plan on plinking with it anyway!! ;)😁

I think you're right about the range limitations, I wouldn't try a shot further than 200 looks like a calculated 3160FPS and sub 800 Foot pounds at that point, but that's my farthest shot overlooking my field anyway, lucky to see 100 yards clearly anywhere in the big woods timber country.

I've been shooting them regularly since the late eighties with "vigor" with a dozen different cartridges.

All I've tried will do the job with the right bullet if you put it in the right place but hogs will show you real fast the limitations of your bullets.

I killed a 500lbs plus boar in 94 with 5" cutters. The taxidermist pulled out three bullets and over 20 buckshot pellets from his shields.

Those bullets were cup and core 243 and 30 cal's shot directly into the shoulder.

This particular boar hit perfectly just behind the shoulder for a lung shot ran more than 500 yards before expiring, hit with a 140gr ballistic tip 7RM.

They are very tough animals.

Hit them right though where they are vulnerable with a bullet that can always penetrate at least 3-5" and you can stack them up.

I even shot one head on with a 300wm who's head was at a perfect angle to deflect the bullet, looked like I'd split him open from the muzzle to the top of his head with a knife.

He was really angry when I got to him so we had a little discussion about shot placement.

Could someone do me a favor and run a quickload for 35GN hammer hunter out of the 220 Swift AI 40deg shoulder, with Varget and AR comp?
I read some where that around 4500 you are getting close to maxing out theoretical powder expansion velocity.
and I am thinking that maybe the AR comp might push it faster as it is a faster burning powder.
I just want a starting load and maybe what the bucknaked performance potential might be.
I know I might be reducing a 600 round barrel life down to 300. I never do this but I plan on running it just under where if flattens out primers as long as the accuracy is still there, but I don't plan on plinking with it anyway!! ;)😁
Honestly you're not gaining anything except an 800.00 bill to replace the barrel far quicker than you would running a bit slower.

Put it in the right spot and they'll never notice an extra 100-200FPS.

QL will not be accurate with the Hammers