220 Swift/ 220 Ackley Improved

notahd

I am looking to re chamber a rifle to 220 swift or 220 Ackley improved. I have been told to try a 220 Swift Ackley improved with a 1 in 12 twist with a 28" barrel. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the 220 swift and or the 220 swift Ackley improved. What I'm looking for is a rifle to shoot a tight group any where from 200 to 600 yards for varmint hunting or target shooting. Most likely I'm going to be useing 50 to 60 gr. bullets seeing that I have 5 other rifles chambered in .224 cal.

I am looking to re chamber a rifle to 220 swift or 220 Ackley improved. I have been told to try a 220 Swift Ackley improved with a 1 in 12 twist with a 28" barrel. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the 220 swift and or the 220 swift Ackley improved. What I'm looking for is a rifle to shoot a tight group any where from 200 to 600 yards for varmint hunting or target shooting. Most likely I'm going to be useing 50 to 60 gr. bullets seeing that I have 5 other rifles chambered in .224 cal.

I'd personally forget the .220 Swift, and go strait to the 22-250 AI. Not any real difference between them and the cases are easier to come by as well as die sets. You can fire form factory loads in the Ackley chamber. Secondly I'd want a minimum of a 1:11 twist barrel for the 60 grain bullets. I've shot them in a 1:12 twist barrel at near max loads with a 22-250, and they really need just a little more spin. Thirdly, there is absolutly no need for a 28" barrel in that small of a case no matter which round you choose. A 26" would be the max, and really a 24" will do just fine; plus group tighter. Also when thinking of 500 to 600 yards shots your really looking at the bullets in the 70 grain and heavier area, so you might want a 1:8 twist barrel
gary

If over-bore is no problem, take a look at the .22-.243Win. A superb 'heavy for caliber' bullet launcher.

a 22-250 AI actually is fairly close to the 22/243 clones. But if you want to get real serious, then look at the 22 Vias. The 6mm Vias will push a 70 grain bullet faster than the Swift will push a 45 grain bullet. But also figure a shoulder set back in five hundred rounds. There's another round that falls about halfway between the two, and if memory is right, it's a Greanleaf idea
gary

I'm still weighing in on what I want to do. I've looked into the 22-250 improved and a couple different articles. There is a lot of good possibility. I got a couple weeks before I make a decision. Being that I have about 1, 000 once fired 22-250 cases I may go that way.

The 220 Swift is a very good performer and is only bested by some of the big wildcats
and the 223 WSSM in velocity.

I have built many of them and they all shot well under 1/2 MOA and the velocity is over
4000 ft/sec with Factory ammo and can be loaded faster if you want to.

Factory ammo is available and does not cost an arm and a leg.

With this cartrige there is no real reason to wildcat and deal with fire forming and special
dies.

The twist should be 1 in 12 for 50 to 60 grain bullets. 1 in 14 will work but if you wanted
to use 70 grain bullets it is marginal. The 1 in 14 is best for 35 to 50grain bullets.

If you like the Swift go with the standard SAAME Swift and don't look back.

J E CUSTOM

If over-bore is no problem, take a look at the .22-.243Win. A superb 'heavy for caliber' bullet launcher.
Im currently in the build process of a 22-243. Wanted 22-250-ai vel. but hate fireforming cases, gunsmith says a little hard on barrels but they make them every day. any in put on the 22-243 would be appreciated.
Defiance action
Broughton # 7 8 twist
H&S stock
RBros. gunsmith

mike

For 500-600 yards I would be looking at 75 grain and up bullets, It will make things easier on you. You can drive a 50-60 as fast as you can and get there with a 220, 22-250, 22-243 etc. Or you can save barrel slow things down and get a 22BR and launch 75's or 80's with some impresive speed and accuracy.

I've been both routes and settled on an 8-twist 6br

Im currently in the build process of a 22-243. Wanted 22-250-ai vel. but hate fireforming cases, gunsmith says a little hard on barrels but they make them every day. any in put on the 22-243 would be appreciated.
Defiance action
Broughton # 7 8 twist
H&S stock
RBros. gunsmith

mike

I know two guys that built Remingtons with similar (.223/.243) rounds. One was a Jaybird and the other was a Cheetah. The Cheetah was good for about 400 rounds and the Jaybird went about six hundred rounds (both using Shilen #7 blanks before the barrel was trashed. The guy with the Cheetah cut about an inch off the big end of the barrel, and rechambered it for .223/6mm improved!! (as if he couldn't figure out why the first 3/8th" of the throat looked like somebody hit it with a torch!). The guy that did the .223/6mm round now shoots a 6mm Vias.
gary

For 500-600 yards I would be looking at 75 grain and up bullets, It will make things easier on you. You can drive a 50-60 as fast as you can and get there with a 220, 22-250, 22-243 etc. Or you can save barrel slow things down and get a 22BR and launch 75's or 80's with some impresive speed and accuracy.

I've been both routes and settled on an 8-twist 6br

when you move into 500 yard + ranges, it's time to put the 22's back in the safe! Your now moving into the world of the big sixes and the 6.5's. A 22 centerfire will at be almost as good, but never the equale. My 6mm/250AI will shoot 105's out to 1000 yards rather well (a lot better than I ever thought it would). I've dropped several coyotes in the 650+ yard range, and would never attempt that with a Jaybird. Yet as good as that was I also know that a 6.5 is another rung up on the ladder.

I have a couple buddies that were in the forefront of the 6/.284 craze. They used to send me pictures of 750+ yard kills, and I just drooled at the photos!! Later one of them told be he went thru two barrels a year! And he had something up his sleeve. It was a 6/.284, .100 short. Now I'm interested! He says he can see no loss in velocity by shoving the shoulders back .100", and keeping the overall length the same. Well to take it another step further his buddy pushed the shoulders back .156 for no serious loss in velocity. But he has six hundred rounds thru the barrel, and all is well. Both of these guys shoot Berger 88's almost as fast as Berger can make them. It would be interesting to see how many grains of water those cases held when compaired to some of the others out there.
gary

when you move into 500 yard + ranges, it's time to put the 22's back in the safe! Your now moving into the world of the big sixes and the 6.5's. A 22 centerfire will at be almost as good, but never the equale. My 6mm/250AI will shoot 105's out to 1000 yards rather well (a lot better than I ever thought it would). I've dropped several coyotes in the 650+ yard range, and would never attempt that with a Jaybird. Yet as good as that was I also know that a 6.5 is another rung up on the ladder.

I have a couple buddies that were in the forefront of the 6/.284 craze. They used to send me pictures of 750+ yard kills, and I just drooled at the photos!! Later one of them told be he went thru two barrels a year! And he had something up his sleeve. It was a 6/.284, .100 short. Now I'm interested! He says he can see no loss in velocity by shoving the shoulders back .100", and keeping the overall length the same. Well to take it another step further his buddy pushed the shoulders back .156 for no serious loss in velocity. But he has six hundred rounds thru the barrel, and all is well. Both of these guys shoot Berger 88's almost as fast as Berger can make them. It would be interesting to see how many grains of water those cases held when compaired to some of the others out there.

gary

Just put it out there because the original post mentioned out to 600. When I think 600 and beyond with a 22 I'm going 80-90 grainers. Done the 6-284, 6.5-284 and fast 22's. The 6br gets me great barrel life, accuracy and has killed critters out to 780 for me many fox in 500-600 range. If I go back to 22 for the same purpose it will be a 22BR with 80-90's or a 22-243 with the same. The little 22 br might surprise you with a 90 grainer. I know a smith on this sight shooting one at 1k br with good results, also at 600 br comp.

Just put it out there because the original post mentioned out to 600. When I think 600 and beyond with a 22 I'm going 80-90 grainers. Done the 6-284, 6.5-284 and fast 22's. The 6br gets me great barrel life, accuracy and has killed critters out to 780 for me many fox in 500-600 range. If I go back to 22 for the same purpose it will be a 22BR with 80-90's or a 22-243 with the same. The little 22 br might surprise you with a 90 grainer. I know a smith on this sight shooting one at 1k br with good results, also at 600 br comp.

face it! It's just hard to beat that little 6BR! It amazes me all the time that somebody can shoot 1000 yards with one. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a 6BRX barrel for a Savage Md.12 setting in my safe gathering dust. If it turns out as well as I think it will, I might build a another for 600 yard matches on a different action that's also gathering dust. Another round that's a real shooter is the 6XC. I shoot a 6XC improved, and it'll always amazes me.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.