22 rifle recommendation for kids

Vol1975

looking to get a new 22 LR bolt rifle for myself and my kids. starting them in the fundamentals. BB gun currently in use.
any way looking at the tikka or ruger compact but would like some opioions.
weight would be a reminder for the kids. For my self it's gonna be a practice gun. not important for myself but would like to use some to shoot
any way. I have a lever action marlin but I want a bolt for the kids and my self.
ruger- https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireCompact/models.html

one thing I hate about this time is when I grew up and where I could walk out back door with 22 and be gone all day shooting everything. sure Ain't like that now for the kids.

Last edited:
I have a Savage Mk. II bolt action .22 rifle. It feeds from a detachable magazine and mine has a nice walnut stock and blued barreled action. The barrel is a sporter contour and isn't very heavy. My model doesn't have iron sights and isn't drilled and tapped for them. I just put a cheap Bushnell 3-9x on it and it has done me well. Surprisingly it shoots its best with cheap Blazer ammo. The Blazer shoots about 1/2" at 50 yards and everything else does around 3/4-1" at 50 yards. The rifle shoots great for what it is. Hope this helps!

A gun that fits you probably won't fit the kids and visa-versa.
Depending on the size of the kids if small look at Keystone arms and the Chipmunk.
A gun that fits kids and good ear protection makes for happy shooting for the kids. I also use reactive targets for kids they love to see it move when they hit it.
If kids try to shoot a full sized gun and get frustrated with the eye relief and can't see the target well they loose interest really fast. I also have found that a red dot that is not sensitive to eye relief beneficial for kids to learn on. Hope that helps.

The tikka is a great shooter. Bolt lift is a little bit on the stiff side which could be challenging for a kiddo. But if you want a high quality/lifetime gun, you wouldn't be disappointed.

A gun that fits you probably won't fit the kids and visa-versa.
Depending on the size of the kids if small look at Keystone arms and the Chipmunk.
A gun that fits kids and good ear protection makes for happy shooting for the kids. I also use reactive targets for kids they love to see it move when they hit it.
If kids try to shoot a full sized gun and get frustrated with the eye relief and can't see the target well they loose interest really fast. I also have found that a red dot that is not sensitive to eye relief beneficial for kids to learn on. Hope that helps.
Yes.
targets and plenty of empty coke cans helps The kids. I do want to stick with a bolt gun that's light For the kids More important for them shooting than me. I've shot a pickup load of 22 in my life.
kids are 5 and 8 and they are both on the bigger size kids. Gun wise I like a bolt and looking for open sights with them for now.

thanks fellas. Been a long time Since I've lookEd at 22 rifles

I went with the savage rascal for my kids. Fits them well and it's lightweight. I imagine your a lot bigger than the kids so you might be better off getting them one and you another. I decided on the savage over the chipmunk because the savage has a standard trigger and I wanted them to learn those fundamentals.

A while back it seems like I saw a model offered from someplace that allowed you to install various stock butt ends to adjust the length. Any of you know what brand and model that would be?

A while back it seems like I saw a model offered from someplace that allowed you to install various stock butt ends to adjust the length. Any of you know what brand and model that would be?
the ruger compact I been reading offer this options

The Henry Mini Bolt Youth seems to get good reviews, and while I have no idea how the endorsement came about, the US Olympic shooting team apparently named it their official youth rifle.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE RUGER PRECISION RIFLE IN 22 LR, ADJUSTABLE STOCK, MOUNT A SCOPE OR USE OPEN SGHTS EASILY. THEY SHOOT GREAT OUT OF THE BOX!!

My personal favorite youth 22 bolt action is a CZ 452 scout. They are now the 457 scout but look much the same. They even come with a single shot magazine adapter. Plus, this little rifle just looks cool. Much better looking than any other youth 22 in my opinion.

If theyre real little hard to beat the little Henry single shot rifles. I had a chipmunk growing up made by Oregon arms, was a great little starter 22

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.