.22 recommendation to practice long range

Paper Tigress

I'm a firm believer in "everything you need to learn can be done with a .22". I'm getting back into shooting and learning to shoot long range. I read with interest an article about shooting an egg at 200 yard. After doing a little more reading I saw that the CZ 455 varmint was a good choice, but it isn't made any more. What recommendations can others make?

What's your budget?
CZ makes an awesome little rimfire. Voodoo Gunworks makes a high end 22 with a Rem 700 footprint. Savage makes a great and affordable trainer.
Pick your poison and start shooting =)

After many weeks of research from ammo to rifle to optic. I weighed all the pros and cons multiple times over. I even test fired a few of my final options and I made my decision and I will be running a Vudoo Gun Works V22 for these matches. Hands down the most accurate .22lr I have ever shot. That's not a easy statement to make when I own many high dollar .22 BR rifles.

Budget? What am I looking at for a good trainer? Budget depends on how much value I get for my buck. I don't want to waste money and wish I had purchased a better rifle. My philosophy is save until you can get the rifle you really want.

I have a savage MK 2 that shoots .5-.75 at 100yards with SK or Wolf Target that I paid like 350 for a few years ago at Dicks Sporting goods before they got all whiny about guns. I recently bought a CZ455 Varmint new.

While they are no longer making it, there are some distributors that still have stock remaining.

The next iteration actually is supposed to be improvement over the 455 in some regards. Like a new metal trigger plate instead of plastic.

Last edited:
Also I recently watch a vid that indicates wind and elevation was similar for 22 at 300 as 308 at 1000 so.

I'm a firm believer in "everything you need to learn can be done with a .22". I'm getting back into shooting and learning to shoot long range. I read with interest an article about shooting an egg at 200 yard. After doing a little more reading I saw that the CZ 455 varmint was a good choice, but it isn't made any more. What recommendations can others make?

What rifle are you planning to shoot Long range ? I recommend a 22 rim fire rifle that comes very close to the size and weight on the long range rifle. This will be good for practice and also feel like your hunting/target rifle.

It was common practice for a match shooter to own two rifles as close to the same size and weight to improve shooter skills and save the match rifle by using a 22 clone for extended shooting sessions.

Some companies make practice rifles in the same or close to there high power rifles. The main thing is to match the stock and weight if you can so the feel is very similar.

J E CUSTOM

If.... you are able to find them, Winchester imported 2 different versions of the Toz 74(?), and they were called the Winchester Wildcat. They are typical Russian utilitarian design. They resemble a baby Mosin-Nagant. One has a varmint barrel w/ an adj trigger, the other - sporter barrel w/o adj trigger.
Once dialed in/guesstimated (we were just using Kentucky elevation/hold over, to keep from messing w/ the scope), my buddy and I were hitting 4" gongs at 175 yds so often that it got boring. At 50 yds, it will make a ragged hole. Ironically with Winchester Wildcat ammo, and they are about 1/2 the price of a CZ.

Another one worth looking at is the new Tikka rimfire (T1X). Priced in the same range as the CZ and the one I have is at least the equal of most of my CZ's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.