22" or 24" Barrel .300 Win Mag

fatpete

Newbie question-

I am having a rifle built and am torn between getting a 22" or 24" barrel, the action will be .300 Win Mag. I am leaning towards the 22, as I will be using this gun for backpack hunting and would like the shorter length.

My question is this: How will the shorter barrel affect the ballistics? I notice that most calculations from the ammo manufacturers and on the Zeiss ballistic calculator site are based on a 24.

An important side note- I won't be using this rifle for shooting over 600 yards (unless I get a hell of a lot of practice in.....). I also will only be using factory ammo, as I do not reload.

Thank you for any guidance or ideas. This site has been a tremedous help.

I was told by very seasoned shooter in both .308 and 300WM (should be a hint as to what he did) said 26" is by far the best length for 300WM. But if you want a short barrel, I wouldn't go any shorter than 24" w/o changing caliber to a 300WSM.

Tank

Hello Fellow Nevadian! The generality you hear are numbers like 25 - 50 feet per second per inch of barrel length from 20 - 28 inches. All rifle loads on FPS are also genralities that would require actual chronograph time with you particular combo.

I've humped some Nevada mountains with big barrels with over 20 pound rifles. you can go with a smaller contour barrel and the difference in weight between a 22 and 26 inch is negligable. or even 28 with a brake.

Personally i don't shoot super ranges or at moving animals because the possibility of wounding and loosing them goes up exponentially.

but I believe that longer barrels are easier to hold steady and the added FPS and less muzzle blast is a plus. You only need a short barrel for thick brush and dangerous game! LOL

I would recommend the 24" barrel so as to get the most from your 300wm. If your using the same contour for a 24 or 22in, that 2 inches is not but a few ounces at most in weight.
I have 2 300wm one with 24"barrel, the other 25". Wouldn't think that 1 inch difference in length would have much effect on velocity but it does, chronograph shows that fact.

Thank you guys for the advice. I am going to go with the 24" barrel. Another thing that a buddy told me was "If 24 is unbearable, you can always have it cut down to 22. You can't add material if you find that the 22 is too short."
Thanks again and have a great day,
fatpete

also - what twist rate are you going to go with? The more twist with the shorter barrel - you'll be able to stabilize the bullet better. Like 1:10 would be good for your 24" - you'll just loose a little velocity than say a 26" barrel with the same twist.

Thank you guys for the advice. I am going to go with the 24" barrel. Another thing that a buddy told me was "If 24 is unbearable, you can always have it cut down to 22. You can't add material if you find that the 22 is too short."
Thanks again and have a great day,
fatpete

Hey do you ever shoot out at the Washoe range? You could apply the same logic to a 26 inch if you don't like it make it 24. LOL

I do a lot of long range shooting, and a 300 Win mag should have at least 26" barrel. Shooting anything less, you only need a 30-06. Not a lot of difference except more recoil. A Win .300
WSM will do very well with a 24" barrel.

jack1k

It sounds like you're set on the 24" and I think that makes a lot more sense than the 22". I have had three 300 wm's and have shot many rounds through them. They were a 24", 25", and a 26". By far my favorite for all around packing and carrying all day, while keeping up good velocity has been the current 25" Broughton bbl. Just for reference I shoot a 180 AB at 3050 with a max load of H-1000. Best of luck with your choice.

I agree with jack1k on this one. I see no reason to go shorter than 26" for the .300WinMag. The difference is mere ounces.
If you truly want to drop the weight, go with a "Mountain Rifle" profile, short action, 24" lite contour barrel and synthetic stock, caliber .300WSM. JohnnyK.

i have a 300wm in 24" and wish i would have gone with the 26 for the extra 80 to 100 fps. I am happy however with the 24 (most velocities from manufacturers in this cal are with a 24) if you want a 22 i'd go with a 30/06

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.