.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

Did I mention I would like to exterminate every last coyote in Ohio, I have finally accumulated the arsenal and knowlage needed to make long range shots on groundhogs and the yotees move in and eat up all the targets.

I hear ya. I've ruined a couple of deer hunts killing coyotes....and the 300wsm 180gr works great. I've seen them drop dead from a .17hmr, and run after being hit with a 257 weatherby mag in the shoulder. I say the bigger the better! I don't collect pelts...I leave em' where they lay. The buzzards need to eat too.

"I make exception for coyotes when it comes to hail mary shots. If you got a backstop, let it fly. I don't care if the worthless dog runs 1000 yds and keels over, as long as he keels over.:rolleyes:
You shoot 'em your way. Don't bad mouth the feller for killing a coyote. I hope he takes every shot that has a reasonable chance at felling the vermin. God bless his endeavors and guide his aim!"

***Well if that ain't a crock of chit I don't know what is! Nobody is badmouthing the guy for killing a yote. However, if you call that running shot at a coyote at 100+ yards with a 22LR taking a shot that has a reasonable chance, you might want to think about taking up knitting instead of hunting for God's sake! Just because it's a varmint doesn't mean that you should wing shots willy nilly, which is exactly what that was,
(opinion from a great distance since you weren't witness to this example of excellence)
with a huge chance of wounding it. (Statistics expert today? Another opinion statement w/o basis in fact.)The chances of him hitting that animal and it being a killing shot with that caliber were as minimal as winning the lottery
(patently false and unsupportable as you are unfamiliar with the gun or the shooters skill level. It's lots harder to win the lottery) and you should know that if you know anything about shooting and hunting. ( what I know is that there is one less coyote and that's a good thing)
If your type of attitude was prevalent throughout the hunting community, our sport would die in short order!

If MY attitude was more prevalent in the hunting community there'd be fewer coyotes, more realists and less arguments like the one you're attempting.
You're starting to use the same kind of tactics politicians use. State it as fact often enough and people will start to believe you. It works, just not on me.:D
I believe you underestimate the caliber, and perhaps the shooter. .22 lr will go clear through a thawed turkey wrapped twice in denim at 200 yds and I have a bunch that will shoot under 1 1/4 inches at 100 yds. That last lineof yours is likely to be untrue if you asked for the vote of everyone who has lost a pet or livestock to coyotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06
I wouldn't be bragging about even shooting at ANYTHING, especially running, at 138 yards with a 22LR!
It ain't braggin if'n you kin do it!
***Do you actually think that was skill, rather than blind luck to make a shot like that? If you do, I'll call BS every time!

Maybe I just suck, but I can hit paper all day at 600yds with a 300 but coyotes can stick and move, and hitting one running at over 100 yards is pretty good. If anything I think its just a good testament to the effectiveness of the 22 mag. I wouldnt have thought it was capable.

Maybe I just suck, but I can hit paper all day at 600yds with a 300 but coyotes can stick and move, and hitting one running at over 100 yards is pretty good. If anything I think its just a good testament to the effectiveness of the 22 mag. I wouldnt have thought it was capable.

Somebody had to guide it. .22 mag is plenty of medicine for coyotes. If it is an accurate rifle and you shoot it well and inside it's effective range.
.22 WMR can be as fussy about ammo as .22lr guns. Gotta practice and test. Find out what works well in your gun..

Caleb---We aren't even a talking a 22 mag in this particular instance. The guy says he shot a running coyote at 138 yards with a 22LR. Then he says that also proves the 22 magnum is more than enough to kill them out past that distance. What my problem is involves two things. The first is shooting at a small target running with either of those calibers at any distance like that because even a standing shot with them is asking for trouble unless you hit them in the head or possibly right in the heart. I just don't go for people like this patience guy that have stated on this thread that "they're just coyotes" and condone anything other than as close to a 100% clean, humane killing shot as you can get on ANY animal. These are the kinds of things that hunters need to police amongst themselves IMHO or one of these days we'll be throwing rocks when things come to a vote and people that are on the fence about hunting are asked to vote yea or nay on it's continuance. Anyone who says that will never happen has probably also said a black man would never be President or that health care would never be forced on American citizens. I give up on this thread because it's obvious that some of these people, especially patience, don't know what they are talking about when they say these small calibers with the small ft/lbs of energy they produce are more than sufficient at the distances we are talking about to take an animal the size of a coyote humanely on a regular basis. Again I will relate it as akin to the gambler than only tells of his winning nights and never mentions the other 10 when he lost his ***! If the shot you take isn't as close to 100% as possible that whatever you shoot at will die quickly, then the shot should not be taken. That's why you see a decent size centerfire caliber like a 22-250 or .223 being used by the pros on these varmint shooting TV shows. They shoot em and they're DRT. End of story!

Caleb---We aren't even a talking a 22 mag in this particular instance. The guy says he shot a running coyote at 138 yards with a 22LR. Then he says that also proves the 22 magnum is more than enough to kill them out past that distance. What my problem is involves two things. The first is shooting at a small target running with either of those calibers at any distance like that because even a standing shot with them is asking for trouble unless you hit them in the head or possibly right in the heart. I just don't go for people that have stated on this thread that "they're just coyotes" and condone anything other than as close to a 100% clean, humane killing shot as you can get on ANY animal. These are the kinds of things that hunters need to police amongst themselves IMHO or one of these days we'll be throwing rocks when things come to a vote and people that are on the fence about hunting are asked to vote yea or nay on it's continuance. Anyone who says that will never happen has probably also said a black man would never be President or that health care would never be forced on American citizens. I give up on this thread because it's obvious that some of these people don't know what they are talking about when they say these small calibers with the small ft/lbs of energy they produce are more than sufficient at the distances we are talking about to take an animal the size of a coyote humanely on a regular basis. Again I will relate it as akin to the gambler than only tells of his winning nights and never mentions the other 10 when he lost his ***!

I don't talk too much about the times I've lost my ***. Nobody has the time. ;)

Caleb---We aren't even a talking a 22 mag in this particular instance. The guy says he shot a running coyote at 138 yards with a 22LR. Then he says that also proves the 22 magnum is more than enough to kill them out past that distance. What my problem is involves two things. The first is shooting at a small target running with either of those calibers at any distance like that because even a standing shot with them is asking for trouble unless you hit them in the head or possibly right in the heart. I just don't go for people like this patience guy that have stated on this thread that "they're just coyotes" and condone anything other than as close to a 100% clean, humane killing shot as you can get on ANY animal. These are the kinds of things that hunters need to police amongst themselves IMHO or one of these days we'll be throwing rocks when things come to a vote and people that are on the fence about hunting are asked to vote yea or nay on it's continuance. Anyone who says that will never happen has probably also said a black man would never be President or that health care would never be forced on American citizens. I give up on this thread because it's obvious that some of these people, especially patience, don't know what they are talking about when they say these small calibers with the small ft/lbs of energy they produce are more than sufficient at the distances we are talking about to take an animal the size of a coyote humanely on a regular basis. Again I will relate it as akin to the gambler than only tells of his winning nights and never mentions the other 10 when he lost his ***! If the shot you take isn't as close to 100% as possible that whatever you shoot at will die quickly, then the shot should not be taken. That's why you see a decent size centerfire caliber like a 22-250 or .223 being used by the pros on these varmint shooting TV shows. They shoot em and they're DRT. End of story!

Topgun, what you are saying makes perfect sense, I am not good with words on paper (computer). a 40 grain TNT from a 22 mag at 2200 fps is enough, as long as the range is short.
Those running shots at 150 yards are no less humain than a deer with a 223 at long range.
All in all the 22 rimfire can kill Coyote, but I have seen too many run off.

None of us want to see an animal suffer, clean humane kills are what we all should be after, the coyote deserves at least a 223.
If all I had was a 22 with me then yes, I would uise it.

but to go out hunting coyotes with a 22 rimfire (magnum) when you have a 223- 22-250 30-06 in the gun safe, to my hunting ethics, is not good hunting practice.
Not any less or more ethical than some kids buying a 270 win and simmons 4x32mm scope from walmart and trying to kill a deer with it at 700 yards.
they are probably more ethical than a 22 mag on a coyote at 150 yards.

223 Rem 40 vmax at 3700 fps
22WRM 40 vmax at 2100 fps

The difference is utterly gigantic in velocity

The 22-250 with a 53 Vmax (,290 bc) at 3800 fps would still have 2100 fps at 500 yards, more than a 22 mag at 50 yrds unless you can get the coyote to come up and snuff the barrel of the gun.

This is the reason why the standard of 250 yds for the 233 and over 400 for the 22-250 is for coyotes, keeping shots over 2000 fps for expansion
the 223 at 250 yards has more speed than the 22 mag has 1 inch from the muzzle.
Rimfire are not notorious for accuracy past 50 yards either.

the 22 and 17 rimfire magnums need not apply here unless the coyote is under 100 yards. all other shots are a lottery

Topgun 30-06 sounds to me like a guy who knows about his firearms and how to shoot and what to use and what not to use.

I'm not saying that the ones who use the 22 mag are unethical, but we sure the H***do not need to give the anti gunners more evidence to use against us, when they see all those injured coyotes running the county limping around. by the 22 mags.
I'm not really bothered by hunting ethics to the extreme , but the anti gunners are, we need not fuel their drive.

Thank you Sir, as that was pretty well stated and why I have the following in my safes to tackle the various game and distances that you mentioned and that I'm talking about: 22lr, 22 mag, 22 Hornet, .243 Sako, 30-30, 25-06, and several 30-06s as the game gets bigger and the distance gets longer!

They don't when I use the .243 Sako on em! That's 8 of 9 shots in a dime!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 122
Depends on what part of MI you're in. I'm in the southwest part of the lower and within 25 miles of Lake Michigan and we get a lot of lake effect snow at times if the lake doesn't freeze over. In a normal year we average around 100" of snow. Up 180 miles to where my cabin is it's not uncommon to come close to or once in a while exceed 200" of snow. Temperatures really aren't that bad overall where I am with a few days below zero, but up north it's a lot more common to go well below zero for spells, especially in the UP above the Mackinaw Bridge. You just dress for it with the proper clothes, gloves, and boots. I'd rather be able to do that than have to go through all this hot weather we're having this summer where the only way to stay cool is in an air conditioned environment or in a pool **** nearly submerged to the eyeballs!

When I was a young man, I had a very successful older gentleman tell me "opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one". lightbulb Just wanted to say I haved enjoyed this thread. Everyone has stated how they feel, its great, its a debate. What I have learned is use what works for you and what you are comfortable with. Only in America guys, can we do this. Freedom of speech. Keep it up and happy hunting. Good luck to you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts