22 LR hollow point suggestions

I'm currently using 40 grain CCI blazer lead round nose from my CZ 455 with very good accuracy but shots (other than head) on ground hogs at distance are not quick killing. I was wondering if anyone was using hollow points for ground hogs and what kind of accuracy they were getting?
I found and tried Remington CBee 22 hp but accuracy was unacceptable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I did quite a bit of ground hog for a farmer friend a year ago. Used a Tikka T1x with a Vortex 4 x 12 x 44 and Winchester Silvertip segmented .22 ammo which is touted as .22 pistol protective ammo but you couldn't tell the Tikka that. 0.5 MOA groups at 100 yards. Shots were from about 20 yards out to 130 yards. All were one shot hits and instantaneous kills. The hogs never knew what hit them.

I was up north the past few days, stopped at our favorite up north rifle range in Gordon, WI and sighted in our rifles, the .308 at 200 yards, the .270 at 300 yards. Tried a couple of different factory loads to include some all copper bullets. The coppers would not hold any kind of a group at 100 yards much less 300. Neither the Winchester Model 70 .308 or the Tikka T3X .270 would shoot any kind of a group with the copper bullets. Switched back to Sierra 165 gr in the .308 and Nosler 130 gr accubond in the .270 and all was well again with sub MOA groups. On the way back home stopped at Scheels in Eau Claire and found some Nosler Accubond 165 gr in .308, will have to confirm the zero before next weekend (11/21) when season opens. Also found some Winchester Silvertip .22's there and I bought 150 rounds to use hunting. Thinking about it I should have bought 200 rounds. They had a lot in stock at a very reasonable price, under normal retail. I have found that Scheels seems to have a lot of other things in stock that you can't get elsewhere. They had an abundance of small rifle and small pistol primers on hand as well as a big variety of powder and bullets, mostly Hornady in all calibers. If you haven't checked them out give them a try at www.scheels.com. Have any of you had accuracy issues with mono bullets? The Winchester has a 1/10 twist, the .270 a 1/9 twist.

The problem with most Mono Bullets is they must have an air space in the front of the bullet behind the plastic tip, So the bullet will open, And copper or gilding metal is slightly lighter than lead for weight. They end up making the bullets longer for weight. The Mono Bullets seem to need a tighter twist to perform.

My Kimber Montana 300 WSM is a less than 1" at 100m. with Jacket and Core 180's, I went down to 165-68 gr mono with no luck. Have some 150 gr. Barnes to try.

I'm currently using 40 grain CCI blazer lead round nose from my CZ 455 with very good accuracy but shots (other than head) on ground hogs at distance are not quick killing. I was wondering if anyone was using hollow points for ground hogs and what kind of accuracy they were getting?
I found and tried Remington CBee 22 hp but accuracy was unacceptable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Remington Golden Bullets.

The problem with most Mono Bullets is they must have an air space in the front of the bullet behind the plastic tip, So the bullet will open, And copper or gilding metal is slightly lighter than lead for weight. They end up making the bullets longer for weight. The Mono Bullets seem to need a tighter twist to perform.

My Kimber Montana 300 WSM is a less than 1" at 100m. with Jacket and Core 180's, I went down to 165-68 gr mono with no luck. Have some 150 gr. Barnes to try.
One word of advice, before switching to copper mono bullets, clean everything out of your barrel. Once I did that, copper mono bullets gave me the best accuracy my rifles have ever had.

Remington Golden Bullets.
Prior to using the Winchester Silvertips I used Federal Small Game .22 ammo. Accuracy out of the T1x is not quite as good as the Silvertips, holding right at 1.o MOA plus or minus a bit but the 38 grain hollow points did the job quite well. I have however found that the segmented bullets from the Silvertips are a lot more effective. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I just got a brick of Silvertips from Scheels so set for awhile.

If you can find some Remington Yellow Jackets you will have some really good shooting ammo!
I've got a Ruger 77/22 that is not too fond of the Yellow Jackets. Over the past few years with all the shortages what we've been doing is finding rifles that are similar to what we hunt with, only in .22 long rifle. As a result we bought what we could find for ammunition. With this said we ended up with a wide variety of .22 manufacturers. What we ended up finding was that there were certain brands of ammunition that either did or didn't like our rifles. For a brand of .22 hollow point that I found to shoot best was the Aguilla 38 or 29 grain (?) bullet. Also something that my son found on You Tube that has helped with accuracy has been lubing or bullets with a mixture of beeswax and olive oil. I'm not sure of the ratio, but it is mixed to the consistency of that of automotive grease. He uses the wax toilet ring (yes it's a new one!!) heats it until it melts and then he adds some olive oil. He lets it cool in a margarine tub. Once the stuff has cooled it's put in a small zip lock bag. Go to the range, run some grease onto your fingers, wipe the bullet heads to leave a very thin coating and…hopefully see an improvement in accuracy. We noticed the lube making a difference in accuracy when we shot an off brand box of .22s that really smelled due to the lube that was like a preservative that was all over the ammo. The stuff stunk, but….they shot really well. This concoction that I described works, I thought it was crazy until I tried it and it worked!!

One (or five) words of advice: if you have an especially accurate .22lr, use caution shooting hyper velocity rounds such as Stingers, Velocitors or the Aguila Supers out of that rifle, for the simple reason these cartridges get their high velocity by using a longer than normal case! This longer case can peen the throat of your rifle or pistol quite quickly if it is dirty, possibly (no guarantee) ruining accuracy for standard length case ammo. And/or cause leading in the leade. Just something to watch for. The only possible cure is to mop out the chamber/leade area after every few shots and even that is a "maybe!"

I have tried the mono bullets in 3 accurate rifles and several others that were just "kinda" accurate but not a single one would shoot the little bullets worth beans with many keyholes and flyers that made the groups more like shotgun patterns! Just too lite of a bullet to be stabilized in my .22's. YMMV of course.

Getting any .22lr HP's, even the hyper velocity rounds, to open consistently is a problem, especially at longer ranges. A flat point bullet at the longer ranges usually works better but... there is always a "but!" I like the CCI Small Game bullet and it's accurate out of my bench gun and my hunting rifle. Try some if you can find them! I also like the segmented bullets on game as they almost always work. Slow, pure lead HP's with large HP 's usually work as well but the bullets are generally delicate and easily damaged.

As weird as it may sound, using the Hollow Pointing kits also seems to work well but do take some work. I suspect that when the bullets are struck it either obdurates them a bit or seats them a little tighter in the case but whatever, I have found these bullets to almost always be more accurate than their untouched counterparts! This works on bullets with factory hollow points as well! If you don't mind putting in the labor, it's definitely worth it!

If you want to always use the longer cased ammo (Stingers, etc) and don't care about the potential peening, most of the Hyper velocity HP's work well but being generally lighter weight bullets, their longer range performance suffers due to rapid velocity loss.

I like the Aguila SSS. (sniper) 60 gr bullets but again, I have not found them to be particularly accurate bullets. I have found that accurately trimming the round nose off (I use a simple jig and a Dremel table saw) increases the lethality and velocity of the bullet, which is difficult to stabilize in most .22 cal barrels.

And if you really want to blast small critters such as ground hogs, the .22 Mag or .17 is definitely the way to go!

Happy experimenting!
Cheers,
crkckr

I was up north the past few days, stopped at our favorite up north rifle range in Gordon, WI and sighted in our rifles, the .308 at 200 yards, the .270 at 300 yards. Tried a couple of different factory loads to include some all copper bullets. The coppers would not hold any kind of a group at 100 yards much less 300. Neither the Winchester Model 70 .308 or the Tikka T3X .270 would shoot any kind of a group with the copper bullets. Switched back to Sierra 165 gr in the .308 and Nosler 130 gr accubond in the .270 and all was well again with sub MOA groups. On the way back home stopped at Scheels in Eau Claire and found some Nosler Accubond 165 gr in .308, will have to confirm the zero before next weekend (11/21) when season opens. Also found some Winchester Silvertip .22's there and I bought 150 rounds to use hunting. Thinking about it I should have bought 200 rounds. They had a lot in stock at a very reasonable price, under normal retail. I have found that Scheels seems to have a lot of other things in stock that you can't get elsewhere. They had an abundance of small rifle and small pistol primers on hand as well as a big variety of powder and bullets, mostly Hornady in all calibers. If you haven't checked them out give them a try at www.scheels.com. Have any of you had accuracy issues with mono bullets? The Winchester has a 1/10 twist, the .270 a 1/9 twist.

Attachments

• AD86450F-D77A-4F9F-85F1-DB86AAD399D3.jpeg
    AD86450F-D77A-4F9F-85F1-DB86AAD399D3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
Can't tell you how much fun I'm having with my Waltz HP'er shooting prairie dogs out to 250-300ish with Ruger Charger /Kidd barrel/4-14X Primary Arms mil/tree mil reticle. Have been HPing Fed Auto-Match and I can hear meat reports all the way out beyond 250 yards. Way better terminally than any solids I've tried.