22 LR hollow point suggestions

I can change out my 22 lr barrel on my CZ 455 to 17 HMR but didn't think I would be gaining much. Honestly I never looked at the numbers. Maybe I'll take a look at what I would gaining.
There is a VERY big difference in performance with the 17 hmr, especially at 75 or more yards. 2350 fps vs 1200 just to start. The 17 and 20 grain TNT penetrate well and kill on larger game, the vmax style 17s are very explosive on gophers.

Last edited:
I can change out my 22 lr barrel on my CZ 455 to 17 HMR but didn't think I would be gaining much. Honestly I never looked at the numbers. Maybe I'll take a look at what I would gaining.
I nailed another big Chuck this evening with the .17 HMR. He had the temerity to appear on my patio and one shot to his neck and DRT …he didn't know what hit him. "Seeing is believing"

There is a VERY big difference in performance with the 17 hmr, especially at 75 or more yards. 2350 fps vs 1200 just to start. The 17 and 20 grain TNT penetrate well and kill on larger game, the vmax style 17s are very explosive on gophers.
From my experience, there is a very big difference between the .17 HMR
and a .22 long rifle REGARDLESS of the yardage, but especially beyond 50 yards or so,

From my experience, there is a very big difference between the .17 HMR
and a .22 long rifle REGARDLESS of the yardage, but especially beyond 50 yards or so,
Sounds like I should probably go shopping for a 17 HMR. They have barrels in stock for my CZ but I hate to keep switching barrels and the 22 is my squirrel gun.

I found some of the above online for $140 a Brick
The Winchester's I found were called HE for High Energy, they are segmented HPs @ 11 per box or 204 per 1000.

I have a lot of 22 ammo because of the previous outage. I have tried several kinds out of a 77/22 that I bought new in 1991 and gave to my daughter and her husband last year with the preferred being CCI Mini Mag HPs.

A bolt action 22 is a must have for me so I've since moved on to a Ruger American (I don't care for the stock), and a 10/22 that I installed some Kidd parts and a TacSol barrel which might get switched to a Kidd barrel. These 2 need some range time to decide what they like in full power ammo.

I did get a groundhog on my property last year with the American running suppressed (SilencerCo Sparrow) and SubS ammo. I think it will be a good squirrel gun but I won't shoot anymore Groundhogs with SubS ammo. I need to do something about the stock, very slick in my hands.

Buy and test 22 ammo until you find what your 22 likes and then buy more of that ammo. When Society or the powers that be make it hard to find buy what you can get.

I found some of the above online for $140 a Brick
The Winchester's I found were called HE for High Energy, they are segmented HPs @ 11 per box or 204 per 1000.

I have a lot of 22 ammo because of the previous outage. I have tried several kinds out of a 77/22 that I bought new in 1991 and gave to my daughter and her husband last year with the preferred being CCI Mini Mag HPs.

A bolt action 22 is a must have for me so I've since moved on to a Ruger American (I don't care for the stock), and a 10/22 that I installed some Kidd parts and a TacSol barrel which might get switched to a Kidd barrel. These 2 need some range time to decide what they like in full power ammo.

I did get a groundhog on my property last year with the American running suppressed (SilencerCo Sparrow) and SubS ammo. I think it will be a good squirrel gun but I won't shoot anymore Groundhogs with SubS ammo. I need to do something about the stock, very slick in my hands.

Buy and test 22 ammo until you find what your 22 likes and then buy more of that ammo. When Society or the powers that be make it hard to find buy what you can get.
When one has many different .22's finding the one that works well with all is pretty much an impossibility. I have found that taking each one and firing different ammo to determine the best shooting for that particular firearm, then keeping record of which ammo shoots best with which rifle/pistol, then keeping this ammo on hand and pairing it to the firearm when going out target shooting or hunting keeps my groups at MOA or less. I have over the years found that virtually no standard velocity or quiet type will group well in any rifle or pistol that I have. None of my .22 pistols like,"pistol ammo," but my Tikka T1x absolutely loves Winchester Silvertip 37 gr segmenting hollow points which states, "Optimized for handguns," shoots Sub MOA Groups at 100 yards and probably beyond. Take the time as well as minor expense to buy several 50 round boxes of different ammo and try each in a given firearm. Note the one that works best and make sure that you keep more on hand for that rifle. One can usually be able to use a box of 50 to test 2 or 3 firearms. Cheap enough to do to determine best accuracy from that firearm. I personally want to know that if I miss a shot it's because I muffed it and it wasn't the rifle/ammo's fault.

Worthy info. I have a Ruger MKIV, handgun, with 2X scope that I expect to carry on next years rodent hunts. Reading thru the above should help me in selecting ammo. Hi vel segmented bullet ammo might be most effective should the rodent weigh more than 8 ounces. Our western rockchucks AKA yellow belly marmots are real tough. I can hit pop can sized targets with the Ruger at 50 yards when using a tripod with sandbags. Here is a photo of one - golf course chuck PGA, city limits, likes to watch traffic.
IMG_1711.JPG

Looks nice enough to be a pet,but messy. They like abandoned structures - cabins, sheds, vehicles & even boats. Often seen among farmers/ranchers abandoned machinery & dump locations. Shot a few under an abandoned school bus.

Last edited:
If you are shooting at a Groundhog/Woodchuck facing you, A solid center hit with a 22Lr Hp will do it. With the aorta and the backbone straight behind the aorta, A hit in center of body will paralize and bleed out a groundhog quickly.

My brother shot a grey squirrel at about 35 yds. He shot the squirrel in the neck facing down a limb at him. Skinning the squirrel we recovered the Eley Subsonic 40 gr. Hp under the skin on a back leg.
DSC00730.JPG
Soft lead and a perfect Mushroom

Worthy info. I have a Ruger MKIV, handgun, with 2X scope that I expect to carry on next years rodent hunts. Reading thru the above should help me in selecting ammo. Hi vel segmented bullet ammo might be most effective should the rodent weigh more than 8 ounces. Our western rockchucks AKA yellow belly marmots are real tough. I can hit pop can sized targets with the Ruger at 50 yards when using a tripod with sandbags. Here is a photo of one - golf course chuck PGA, city limits, likes to watch traffic.
View attachment 386515

Looks nice enough to be a pet,but messy. They like abandoned structures - cabins, sheds, vehicles & even boats. Often seen among farmers/ranchers abandoned machinery & dump locations. Shot a few under an abandoned school bus.

H, I also use a Ruger MkIII in the local PD towns, Actually put a barrel bracket on my barrel that has a sling swivel stud in it and had my gunsmith install another SSS in the bottom of the pistol grip and i use a tall Harris bipod and sling on mine for hands-free carry in PD towns--LOVE IT!!

Guys anybody who shoots 22 rimfire long enough is gonna have a bunch of solid points stashed away that probably never gets used, One of the greatest gizmos I ever purchased is a Neal Waltz Hollow-pointing die that I use on all my "stashed away" stuff. It's just great for this application and I don't have to buy a lot of 22 when I have thousands that are no longer "stashed"

I'm currently using 40 grain CCI blazer lead round nose from my CZ 455 with very good accuracy but shots (other than head) on ground hogs at distance are not quick killing. I was wondering if anyone was using hollow points for ground hogs and what kind of accuracy they were getting?
I found and tried Remington CBee 22 hp but accuracy was unacceptable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CCI Velocitor & head shots.