22 Hornet most explosive starling bullet

Kroberts

I'm wanting to try some different bullets in my hornet for popping starlings and European house sparrow. I have one load found for my hornet that'll do about 1/2 Moa or less when clean. But the bullet isn't explosive enough at hornet velocity though is plenty explosive on things a bit larger. And holds well under 1" at 150 yards, usually under 3/4". it's the 40gr varmagedon hollow point. I'm debating between a few but want some experienced opinions on a bullet for what I'm after. I'm thinking between the 35 vmax, 30gr varmint grenade, 30gr Berger, or the 30gr Calhoun. I want to come as close as possible to what the 17 hornet can do damage wise to small critters. Atleast to 100 yards or so. I'm open to other options, those are just the bullets in that class that I'm aware of.

Thanks,
Kyle

I have a 22 K Hornet and it likes the 35 grain Ballistic tip.

The K Hornet can shoot the Hornet ammo very well and fire form at the same time, and adds around 100 ft/sec to the velocity.

The ballistic tip is very accurate and explosive and will push the 35 grain just over 3300 ft/sec Using Lil Gun in the K Hornet And 3200 in the Hornet.

I have not tried any of the 30 grain bullets because of the performance of the 35 grain Ballistic tip. The Hornet needs lighter bullets because of the higher velocity potential and does not typically like bullets over 40 to 45 grains.

J E CUSTOM

I did a bit of testing yesterday ready with the 40gr varmagedon HP from my hornet of some cucumber and zucchini. They penetrate about 1" then explode the size of a billiard ball. So it should be great for furbearers. But not near explosive enough for small critters. I'm definitely going to try some lift bullets at some point. But it'll have to be this winter since funds are going to be put towards driving to and from school several times a week for a semester.

Varmtr- how hard was accuracy to find with the VG? I've heatd they are pretty touchy.

Stacy- does Berger still produce that bullet? I havnt seen it on their sight for a while, and it's one I've been curius about.

JE- how explosive are those bulleta? I feel like they might be what I'm looking for if they can essentially pop on a grape.

Thanks,
Kyle

G'Day Kroberts

Accuracy wise I have found no issues with the 36gr Barnes VG's. I seated them out as far as they could go while still fitting in the magazine. I loaded 5 rounds first 3 clover leafed the next 2 went through the same hole.
Now my rifle is a old Brno ZKW-465 and the magazine can be a bit restrictive.
My current load is:
Hornady fire formed brass ( with the flash hole drilled out and deburred to fit RCBS decapping pin )
13gr of Hodgdons Lil-Gun.
Either CCI or Remington bench rest primers ( found no difference in group size between to two ).
Velocity wise don't know yet to run them over the magnetospeed. The interesting part my barrel is a 1:14 twist which by Barnes is not fast enough. Well I tried them at 200y and perfect round holes no key holing, but 200y is about as far as I would push the little k-hornet.

Cheers
Varmtr

I have a 22 K Hornet and it likes the 35 grain Ballistic tip.

The K Hornet can shoot the Hornet ammo very well and fire form at the same time, and adds around 100 ft/sec to the velocity.

The ballistic tip is very accurate and explosive and will push the 35 grain just over 3300 ft/sec Using Lil Gun in the K Hornet And 3200 in the Hornet.

I have not tried any of the 30 grain bullets because of the performance of the 35 grain Ballistic tip. The Hornet needs lighter bullets because of the higher velocity potential and does not typically like bullets over 40 to 45 grains.

J E CUSTOM

G'Day J E.

I tried the Hornady 35gr Vmax and yeh the shot ok but not fantastic, but in saying that I was running our locally made ADI powder AR2205 yet to try Lil-Gun. But I did try the Winchester 40gr 22Mag HP but the older ones were the lead tip that was copper wiped and these shot around 1/2". But I have ran out of these my old man and I split a box of 10,000 so the old Brno has certainly been busy shooting near on 5,000 shots.
Now Winchester Australia is finally importing Hodgdon's powder ( some ) I tried Lil-Gun in very impressed. I'm working on burning the barrel out :D but it's taking me a loooonnngg time. But looking into a 20 Ackley Hornet or a 20 Hornady Hornet in the future.

Cheers
Varmtr

I would try the poly tipped Varmageddon, should expand faster than the HP version.
I'm wanting to try some different bullets in my hornet for popping starlings and European house sparrow. I have one load found for my hornet that'll do about 1/2 Moa or less when clean. But the bullet isn't explosive enough at hornet velocity though is plenty explosive on things a bit larger. And holds well under 1" at 150 yards, usually under 3/4". it's the 40gr varmagedon hollow point. I'm debating between a few but want some experienced opinions on a bullet for what I'm after. I'm thinking between the 35 vmax, 30gr varmint grenade, 30gr Berger, or the 30gr Calhoun. I want to come as close as possible to what the 17 hornet can do damage wise to small critters. Atleast to 100 yards or so. I'm open to other options, those are just the bullets in that class that I'm aware of.

Thanks,
Kyle
Hey Kyle
You will miss a lot of action on terminal explosiveness if you don't try RIA's 40 grain 22 TCM-Hornet bullet! they are available at ARMSCOR's ammo site.
Lichen Slayer

I did a bit of testing yesterday ready with the 40gr varmagedon HP from my hornet of some cucumber and zucchini. They penetrate about 1" then explode the size of a billiard ball. So it should be great for furbearers. But not near explosive enough for small critters. I'm definitely going to try some lift bullets at some point. But it'll have to be this winter since funds are going to be put towards driving to and from school several times a week for a semester.
MAY NOT BUT I'LL BE LOST IF THEY DID STOP PRODUCTION ONLY HAVE A FEW 100 ON HAND!
Varmtr- how hard was accuracy to find with the VG? I've heatd they are pretty touchy.

Stacy- does Berger still produce that bullet? I havnt seen it on their sight for a while, and it's one I've been curius about.

JE- how explosive are those bulleta? I feel like they might be what I'm looking for if they can essentially pop on a grape.

Thanks,
Kyle

For over 25 years, I have shot most every varmint bullet available, and some no longer available. Of all the manufacturer's bullets, the Barnes, performed the least explosive!

Vmax and Nosler and Burger, WAY out perform in their varmint bullets over Barnes. You will just have to self-educate yourself from experience to see for yourself. I too fell for the "Grape Video" on Barnes' sight....and I am sure it works just as the video shows...my bet is that video is showing results in a high-capacity powder cartridge like a 22-250 or Swift. in cartidges like the 222 and hornet variants, they do not perform as the video shows.

Right now, the 40 grain 22TCM Hornet bullet will outperform most bullets in the hornet powder case size, and they are REALLY CHEAP! Buy a few of the Barnes and a few of the TCM HPs and you will see what experience has show to me in shooting Thousands of colony critters here in Wyoming!

I hate to see you miss out on the performance of this bullet..!

If you do not like the TCM bullets, let me know & I will buy them from you!!!!

Lichen Slayer

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.