22 Creedmore

So far, my brothers rifle with 1/8 twist has handled up to the 88gr ELD-Ms beautifully, but they are only 1.240" long(still long for .224" bullet). I built mine first and knew that I wanted to shoot the 95gr MatchKings so I went with the 1/7 twist on my rifle. The length on the 95s is 1.310" which is very long for a .224" bullet. Using Bergers twist calculator, a 1/7 at 3125fps yields an SG of 1.52 with the 95 SMK. A 1/8 twist only gets an SG of 1.16 with the same bullet which was a no-go in my book. Better to have a bit more twist to get into the comfortably stable region.

Am I looking at something wrong? 80 grain with a 1:12 ? My .22-250 wouldn't stabilize anything above 55 with a 1:14.

I don't expect it to stabilise the 80 grainers at all, doesn't mean they can't go down the tube! But... since we are pretty much testing and learning everything we can about new wildcats I just happen to have some 80s here I can try.

Design intent is an ultra flat, fast varmint/ dog gun shooting 50/55s at warp speed. I do like the 50gr TNT just don't want to blow them up from twisting them too fast hence HOPING the 12 won't make them self destruct, but the varmageddon are fine anyway. I picked up the BSA and was shooting it today (currently 243.) for an old rifle with decades of use it's still holding a minute of bottle cap at 100 with 55gr varmageddons. Maybe I should flog it out with use before going to 22 creed.... nah! Still think a plain 22-243 might be faster but, I do worry about barrel wear vs 22 creed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.