22 Creedmoor/ 22-250AI owners - help!

We had some problems with the varmint grenades coming apart but none of the Nosler, Hornady or Berger bullets. They've been spun at incredible Rpms with no blow ups. At least not out to 800 yards. Usually blow ups occur between barrel and around 40 yards.

Im running 53 vmax in 223 ai at 3394fps and not exiting a coyote. was running 55 BTip but blowing big holes in coyotes. That is a great bullet with high BC.
You will have what I call a giggle gun. Every time you pull the trigger you will giggle!

What kind of barrel life can one expect when running a 53-55 gr bullet at 4000+ FPS?
I think the mindset on this question for me is: barrel life for a hunting rig is different than a benchrest rig, and it depends on how you shoot it. I shot a 220 Swift over 2 thousand rounds before it was toast. I never fired more than 3 rounds consecutive, and I was content with 1 moa accuracy at 100 yds. Hunted coyotes with that swift for 15 years.

Last edited:
I shot 50 gr Nos BT @ 4,000 fps jamed using Win 760 in my 22-250 AI. However, my groups opened up eventually. I discovered that the throat eroded 0.053." Probably shot 1,000 rounds through it. It used to be extremely accurate. Now am testing with 55 gr bullets with long shanks for seating at or into the lands loads with 760 and 2700. Unfortunately, it is a 14 twist barrel, so cannot use 53 gr V-Max bullets.

I recommend going with a zero freebore for this cartridge when shooting 50-55 gr bullets to compensate for future throat erosion. If I were to do this from scratch, I would go with a 1-11 twist to ensure stability with the 53 gr V-Max bullet. I have no experience with heavier bullets that may or not provide rapid expansion.

Chuck

50 grain ballistic tip here as well. 24" barrel and I'm at 3960 FPS, not the fastest load I tested, but it grouped a little better at that speed. Loading with imr 4166

I got somewhere around 1500 out of my first 22-250AI. Most of those were run north of 4400 and I never babied it. While it will It never the most practical choice, I guarantee you will have a blast making the red mist fly.
4400, Awesome!

I got somewhere around 1500 out of my first 22-250AI. Most of those were run north of 4400 and I never babied it. While it will It never the most practical choice, I guarantee you will have a blast making the red mist fly.
What weight of bullet was this and length of barrel? Smoking

What weight of bullet was this and length of barrel? Smoking
35 grain Berger FB out of a 26" barrel. My current rig (TC Encore full bull) shoots them in the .2s and .3s when I do my job. I laugh every time I hear or read that the encore is not capable of that kind of accuracy. I loaded some 44 grain hammer hunters last night. Plan on using them for whitetail this fall.

Best of luck on your build.

@grog24 I have a little 20" 22-250ai with a 8 twist steel barrel. 6 groove xcaliber. Shoots itty bitty groups with 40 grain nosler ballistic tips & 4064 at 4000 FPS. I never did try to lean on it at all - every time you poke a squirrel with it you end up with a great big eatin grin on your face!

I also ran 53 grain amax up to 4000 FPS (if i remember right, i would need to check my notes) with VARGET. accuracy was 1/2 MOA.

H380 & 55 gr. ballistic tips at 3850 shot one hole regularly.

@grog24 I have a little 20" 22-250ai with a 8 twist steel barrel. 6 groove xcaliber. Shoots itty bitty groups with 40 grain nosler ballistic tips & 4064 at 4000 FPS. I never did try to lean on it at all - every time you poke a squirrel with it you end up with a great big eatin grin on your face!

I also ran 53 grain amax up to 4000 FPS (if i remember right, i would need to check my notes) with VARGET. accuracy was 1/2 MOA.

H380 & 55 gr. ballistic tips at 3850 shot one hole regularly.
You can get more speed for sure. Around 4100 for me gave best accuracy. That's not smoking from a 30" barrel. It's on cruise control but very accurate.