22 creed or 220 swift

DXHI

Looking to build a long range varminter. Wanting to shoot 55 grain or higher. .
Looking to reach out and touch at 500.....maybe 700

The 220 Swift has been around for 85 years there is a reason for that, "it works" I have never seen until recently swift brass or ammo not be available "in all fairness nothing is available" it is one the calibers I have been shooting for the longest time.
they only thing better than a 220 swift is they ackley improved version of it. I have several I know you want to shoot heavier bullets than I do, but a 220 swift AI will send a 40gr Vmax over 5000 fps all day long that translates to almost 500 yards with
minimal bullet drop those numbers are hard to ignore. So I don't think a 220 swift will have any trouble handling those 55gr
or what ever you decide to load, speaking of 55gr they are good for 4000 fps easy.

Dean

Last edited:
I have both. 22 Creed has a bit more case capacity than the swift. I run Norma brass in the swift and Peterson in the creed. Peterson brass is way better. I run 53 gr V-max in the slow twist swift and 90 gr A-tip in the fast twist creed The 53 gr V-max has a g1 of .290 need to jump to 68 gr bullets to improve on that. I would pick based on which brass/bullets/powder you have or can get. I will always have at least one of each!

Last edited:
I have 3 Swifts, 1 Ackley Improved swift 28 inch barrel 7 twist Cooper phoenix single shot. Developing loads 100+" shots in a quarter sized hole fireforming with 80 grain bergers. Im also developing loads for a 22-250 Ackley Improved 8 twist 28 inch barrel. Ive shot Prarie dogs and Columbian Ground squirrels here in Montana for 40 years to 500+ yarda with swifts. No needmore ever for me. I have a lifetime of brass.

The 220 Swift has been around for 85 years there is a reason for that, "it works" I have never seen until recently swift brass or ammo not be available "in all fairness nothing is available" it is one the calibers I have been shooting for the longest time.
they only thing better than a 220 swift is they ackley improved version of it. I have several I know you want to shoot heavier bullets than I do, but a 220 swift AI will send a 40gr Vmax over 5000 fps all day long that translates to almost 500 yards with
minimal bullet drop those numbers are hard to ignore. So I don't think a 220 swift will have any trouble handling those 55gr
or what ever you decide to load, speaking of 55gr they are good for 4000 fps easy.

Dean
Dean, I have a few questions for you on your Swift AI. Could u call me sometime? 605-884-6007

Will do,

Just a little side note, I don't want to start a whole post about this. I have been using those breath rite nose strips when I go out shooting, ah man what an improvement in all aspects it is like turbocharging your lungs with fresh air. I can hike a lot further with out resting or getting tired, and the steadyness when shooting is unreal. They look goofy but they sure do work and boy do they ever work.

Last edited:
I'd build the Creed simply because I don't like the Swift's semi-rimmed case design. Unless you're putting it in a falling block single shot, then maybe the Swift is the better choice.