22 creed brake?

I put a three port MBM on my 22" Dasher. Works and looks great. Great customer service and went out of his way to help me out. On another note. How do you like the Helix 6 barrel? Got a 25-284 built with one that is just finished. Anxious to try it out.

I also have his TI best that I ordered for my 300 prc. I have some proofs, 1 Christensen, 1 satern and 1 carbon six. My helix 6 barrel is on par with my proofs. They're all hammers. My helix Also shoots lights out and looks better to me than any of my other barrels.

Anybody running a brake on their 22 creed?
I have a 22" helix 6 barrel and it really likes to jump when I shoot. Looking for something to tame it a little. It's not a heavy recoiler obviously but it's got a jump... View attachment 195809
There are a million of them out there. I have a mad scientist that is small. I also had a fat little bastard (its not so little). Both work great. really, any brake you put on will have a great affect. My dad bought a cheap one on amazon for his 30-06 and it significantly reduced the recoil.

I personally have not tried one, but if you go to youtube, Nathan actually compares his brakes against many other popular brakes (including the painkiller) on a sled, with several different rifles from 6.5's up to big bores, and his beast brake outperforms the painkiller, and pretty much any other compareable brake in recoil reduction. The PK brake still does an absolute fantastic job, and it is not outperformed by a huge margin by any means, but if you are splitting hairs, the beast wins. When selecting the most efficient brake possible for my light .338 nm, I did a lot of reasearch and watched many different videos of side by side comparisons, I didn't want an expensive gun that was painful to shoot. My research consisted of the Terminator series brakes, the APS Painkiller, the Bastard brakes, the PVA brakes, Ross's brakes, the Christensen Arms side port TI brake they put on their big guns, and a couple other ones I don't recall that were recommended to me. With every direct comparison I could find, the beast brakes always came out on top. So, I went with them, and I am happy. The percussion is significant, but that has never bothered me, and the recoil reduction is outstanding. Like I said, my 8ish lb unbraked .308 shooting 168's has more felt recoil. Could be partially due to the stock design, a sporter stock on the .308 vs a Manners EH-1 on my .338, but it is still less.

that's the kind of answers I was looking for. Thanks to often we get stuck with what we have has to be the best. Looks like I may have to try one. I will say I was very happy with the painkiller but recently got to test it with a salmon river same rifle same day same load. My painkiller is timed so I spun it off and did salmon river with a washer. I can say it seemed to reduce recoil better albeit very slightly than the painkiller. But I noticed muzzle jump was almost a non issue. It was very good. So good in fact I spun that same smallish brake on my Lapua improved and it performed am axing for the size. Much better than the factory savage brake and made it very nice to shoot. Again like your the sound is more but the blast never hit me or anything on the bench with me . Spotter was able to stand off to the side and behind and not be bothered also. So it's my new favorite brake. Mainly because they are titanium and very light. Plus I'm a sucker for slab brakes think they just look cool.

I should add salmon river is adding a more port round break to the menu for proof barrels. I'm very curious to try those next to a slab style. Maybe the extra ports add more surface area then the slab could. Or maybe the holy grail a slab to break with 5 ports.

I have a micro bastard on a 16" 5.56
It killed the remaining recoil generated from the gases, now just to tune the gas and buffer system to get the reminder.

The thing is it's not as easy an install as the claim I need the strap wrench to get it tight enough to keep from loosening. The timing of it is easy just need more than your hands to get it tightened enough

I have a gen 3 APA on my 6 creed. Like you stated, not so much for recoil as for spotting shots. I like the top ports that are tunable for muzzle rise.

I can tolerate a pretty fair amount of recoil before I can tolerate the concussion of any brake. I would suggest considering a suppressor to block both kinds of pain. In addition, the suppressor is far more considerate of those within 100 feet or so.

If you can silence and civilize a 450 inch V-8 engine, you can silence a lawnmower, a motorcycle, an outboard, or the permanently deafening muzzle blast from a rifle. You just have to want to do it. Yes, I use plugs and muffs. The concussion of a high intensity cartridge hurts my bones.

Last edited:
That's what ear protection is made for. I don't like brakes much either and don't really like ear protection but I like my hearing too much to wreck what's left of it. Until they get rid of that 200.00 tax fee on suppressors, I'm ok with brakes.

that's the kind of answers I was looking for. Thanks to often we get stuck with what we have has to be the best. Looks like I may have to try one. I will say I was very happy with the painkiller but recently got to test it with a salmon river same rifle same day same load. My painkiller is timed so I spun it off and did salmon river with a washer. I can say it seemed to reduce recoil better albeit very slightly than the painkiller. But I noticed muzzle jump was almost a non issue. It was very good. So good in fact I spun that same smallish brake on my Lapua improved and it performed am axing for the size. Much better than the factory savage brake and made it very nice to shoot. Again like your the sound is more but the blast never hit me or anything on the bench with me . Spotter was able to stand off to the side and behind and not be bothered also. So it's my new favorite brake. Mainly because they are titanium and very light. Plus I'm a sucker for slab brakes think they just look cool.
I will also say, MBM is now making a slab brake, may be worth looking at since you like the style

I'm sure glad the blast has never bothered me not even a little. Other than a quick blink of the eyes i never even notice it. Recoil on the other hand I notice.

If you try the CHODE report back. That one is the short list for my 22 creed.
I just put a chode on my 300wm shootin 215 Berger's It recoils fairly light. About the same as it was with my 3 port rugged brake. MTU contour .935 at the shoulder. Could shoot it all day with no problems

Attachments

• F940E19E-0CC8-4956-B328-994FC3B33DB2.jpeg
    F940E19E-0CC8-4956-B328-994FC3B33DB2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • 74CAC9C4-FA54-491B-83F7-BD373CE06F17.jpeg
    74CAC9C4-FA54-491B-83F7-BD373CE06F17.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.