22 caliber bullets

Texas,

I could ship you some PRL bullets, but they are expensive and you need a 1/7 twist rate for a .223, 1/8 for a 22/250. They come in 79 gr. frangible, 87 gr. boattail, 103 gr. flatbase or boatail, and 147 gr. subsonic. The truth is, as deadly as these bullets are, the guys in Dev. Group call them "DRT bullets" (Dead Right There) I would save my money, buy a couple of boxes of 60 gr. V-Max's and neck shoot all the deer I could.
wink.gif

Texas,

To be more specific, 27.2 gr. of Varget will push a 60 V-max 3,160 fps out of a 22 inch barrel chambered for the .223

We have killed quite a few does with this combo, and you don't have to neck shoot them if you don't want to.
wink.gif

The purpose for this is a wildcat called the 224TTH (Texas Trophy Hunter: is a 6mm necked down to 224 with no other changes). I was figuring on using a 1 in 8 twist but might just go with a 7 to play it safe.

S1 I knew that the PRL's must be expensive cause I couldn't find them. Still would like to try them out which of those do you feel is the best say to use on deer and hogs?

Texas...
With that much powder behind it I would choose the 103 with a 1 in 8 twist. I think you are talking about the 6 mm Remington case? 47 to 51 grains of powder capacity? The speed potential of that case would be too much for a 1 in 7

The terminal effect of the 103 at high velocity and high rpm is something you will have to photograph to believe, hogs die instantly. Thus the nickname DRT [Dead Right There]
grin.gif

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

S1 you were pretty close it will hold 53grs.
Using a Rem 700 with a 26" barrel pushing the 55gr Bear Claw 3800fps; the 75gr A-Max went 3650fps and the 80gr Nosler got up to 3550fps.

I rather see what I can do with the 103's just to give me that extra edge(PDQ-DRT)
wink.gif
grin.gif

Speer makes a 70 grain Spire point that works very well in my 22-250AI with a 1-9 twist.

Pecos

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.