22. cal vld

G

who makesthe best 22. cal vld bullet
i have heard that jlk makes a good one but cant find any info

thanks tony

hey rufous,
have a 22250 ack. with 7 twist,shoots berger and jlk 80 gr. extremely well,also does well with jlk 90 gr.. really don't need 7 twist for 80s. rpm's get to be a problem when over 3500 fps. still when you slow down a bit they work extremely well. for some reason seem to be able to push jlk faster than berger, before rpm gets them. if i was going to do it again probably go with 22br, or 22ppc.

don

My rifle is a 1-8 twist, which is what Berger recommends for that bullet at 22-250 velocities. If I were shooting it in a 223 I would definitely go to a 1-7 twist barrel.

Like Bruce, I like Berger VLDs. I shoot them in my AR-15 service rifle from 200-600 yards. 70 gr VLDs for 2-300 rapid fire & 80s for 5-600. The 70s do tolerate jump well seated at magazine length. Both have provided me with some very high scores (when I do my part, which is rare enough
blush.gif
).

The rifle is a Colt receiver with a 1:7.8" Obermeyer 20" service rifle barrel & iron sights, built by Bill Wylde. JLK does make a 90 gr VLD that has a good reputation, but I've not shot any.

Powell River Laboratory makes a dense alloy VLD the same size & basic shape as a Sierra 80, but the super dense core brings its weight up to 107 gr! They don't normally sell to the general public (I asked).
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.