22 BR with 8 twist for 500yd competion

reed mosser

Hi I just ordered a Douglas Air gauged 22 br barrel with a 8 twist to shoot at 500 yard shoots. i know the cartidge should shoot around 3000 to 3100 fps with the 80 grain bullets. i was just wondering what barrel length I should go with. I also wanted to know if it was worth making the 22 br into the 22 dasher. I didn't think that you would gain much with the improved dasher design, but I could be wrong. What kind of barrel life can I expect with the 22 BR . Thanks Reed

i have played with the 22br. a bit and its a great cartridge.i primarily shot the 75g amax at around 3150fps. from a 26" tube.personally i dont think the improvement is worth it,but to each their own.barrel life is very good,considering you really arent using that much more powder than you would in a .223.im quite surprised that more people dont shoot the 22br. considering it just about gets what the 22-250 can,with about 10grs. less powder.maybe its the neck turning or the fact that it doesnt lend itself to being used a "repeater"[although it can can be done].i highly doubt you will regret building one.out of curiosity-why not the 6 br?-my-2-dave

Reed

Just my 2 cents, but IF I was going to spend the money for a barrel for competition in 500 yard shoots I would get a match grade barrel from Hart, Lilja, Krieger, Spencer etc. Not that much more cost, but normally a match grade barrel that is accepted as that.

Douglass air gauged are good barrels but not normally known as "match grade" quality. It is possible that the Douglas barrel will shoot as good as the others, but not likely. OK for fun/hunting guns but would not want to build a match gun on one of them for competition.

Finally if your comps are the type that the bullet has to be "inside the line" or you get the lower score then the 22 is the way to go for sure.

We have several guys building 22 BRs for shooting in the new IBS 600 yard matches and I think it will be a very good cartridge.

Good luck

BH

I liked the 22 br verse the 6mm because I think the extra speed and a b.c of around .5 from the 80 grain bullets should perform better in windy conditions. I have had really good luck with fast 22's and heavy bullets in everything from shooting deer, to shooting my best scores in competion . It just make me perfer them. That is just my 2 cents, I am no professional. I have noticed with 224's bore guns that they usually shoot well and are not finicky with reloading. They seem to shoot more consistantly than my 7mms. Thanks Reed

Your barrel length will be governed by the speed of your powder, faster powder shorter barrel slower powder longer barrel still the barrel at 24" would get the benefit of most powders fired, you could go much shorter.A
good gunsmith can answer these ?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.