22" barrel or less unbraked mountain rifle

The key thing is the barrel length. I'm crawling under deadblow for 3+km sometimes before hitting open county, so 4"+ of barrel length does make a difference.

Have you considered a build with folding stock? There are a few nice ones out there but mine is an XLR element with folding adapter installed. Shown with 27" barrel + suppressor.

owPqeb8.jpg

Good luck on your build.

If you don't mind handloading I highly recommend looking at a 338-06 Ackley. I have an Oregunsmithing ultra-lite 22" barrel, 5lbs scoped with 4 rounds in the mag. Shooting a 200 gr Nosler E-tip at 2825 FPS under 1/2 Moa. Very manageable recoil, my 11 year old son loves to shoot it.
Never will find a shortage of 30-06 brass to form and load.

Last edited:
As El Matador suggest, the 325WSM is a great round. I have taken numerous elk up to 400yds. If you hand load - there are a few good options. Using 200GR Barnes at apprx 3000 FPS works well in my HS.

Why not just stick with the 338 RUM but go with a short barrel? Either go with a 22" barrel and no brake or a 20" barrel with a brake if you feel like you need it. The muzzle blast and flash won't be nearly as bad as people make it out to be and you'll easily hit your performance goals. Recoil would be manageable without a brake but you won't be spotting your own hits.

The hardest part might be finding a DBM that you like. I don't like idea of the standard AICS mags on hunting rifles because they hang down below the stock so far. The Curtis Custom mags are a lower profile but a little limited in OAL and very expensive at $130.

I'd stay away from the carbon wrapped barrels and just go with the lightest profile I could get away with depending on the chambering you pick. I've never had trouble getting a light weight hunting barrel to shoot well for 3 shots, which is all I expect from a hunting gun.

Why not just stick with the 338 RUM but go with a short barrel? Either go with a 22" barrel and no brake or a 20" barrel with a brake if you feel like you need it. The muzzle blast and flash won't be nearly as bad as people make it out to be and you'll easily hit your performance goals. Recoil would be manageable without a brake but you won't be spotting your own hits.

The hardest part might be finding a DBM that you like. I don't like idea of the standard AICS mags on hunting rifles because they hang down below the stock so far. The Curtis Custom mags are a lower profile but a little limited in OAL and very expensive at $130.

I'd stay away from the carbon wrapped barrels and just go with the lightest profile I could get away with depending on the chambering you pick. I've never had trouble getting a light weight hunting barrel to shoot well for 3 shots, which is all I expect from a hunting gun.
The recoil and muzzle blast from such a short barreled RUM are going to be absolutely punishing and if you shoot it in low light you will be blind for several minutes after it goes off.

The recoil and muzzle blast from such a short barreled RUM are going to be absolutely punishing and if you shoot it in low light you will be blind for several minutes after it goes off.

I'll get some video of my 18" barreled 338/375 Ruger and the 20" barreld 338 SnipeTac at night and post it up. The muzzle flash is a bit disappointing. I'll admit that the blast on the 20" SnipeTac is considerable, but that's burning 140gr of powder with a muzzle brake that was chosen purely for recoil reduction and is known to be a bit abusive in the noise department. The blast from the 18" 338/375 is no worse than any other muzzle braked gun.

Here's an 18" barreled 338/375 Ruger shooting a 250gr bullet at 2745 fps using 77.5 gr of powder. It's not dark, but this is about 10 minutes from what we consider the end of legal shooting light around here.

Last edited:
I'll get some video of my 18" barreled 338/375 Ruger and the 20" barrels 338 SnipeTac at night and post it up. The muzzle flash is a bit disappointing. I'll admit that the blast on the 20" SnipeTac is considerable, but that's burning 140gr of powder with a muzzle brake that was chosen purely for recoil reduction and is known to be a bit abusive in the noise department. The blast from the 18" 338/375 is no worse than any other muzzle braked gun.
You're also talking considerably less powder from either of those two cases than the Rum.

It's simple physics, with the short barrel there is a tremendous excess of powder that cannot burn before the bullet leaves the barrel. That creates a huge flash and excessive recoil.

You're also talking considerably less powder from either of those two cases than the Rum.

It's simple physics, with the short barrel there is a tremendous excess of powder that cannot burn before the bullet leaves the barrel. That creates a huge flash and excessive recoil.

The last 338 RUM and 338 Edge rifles I had burned less than 100gr of powder, the 338 SnipeTac is shooting a "moderate" load with only 140gr of powder. I had similar results when shooting a 300 RUM from a 19" barrel and a 6.5 Badger (6.5x338 RUM Improved) from a 19" barrel.

Here's the 7# scoped 19" 300 RUM with a 180gr Accubond at 3100 fps. The flash is there but it's wouldn't be blinding by any means. A different powder would help with that. Recoil is nothing, the guy shooting has arthritis so bad a 357 magnum is painful for him.

Sometimes the numbers on paper and the actual results from the folks doing it don't match up.

Last edited:
The last 338 RUM and 338 Edge rifles I had burned less than 100gr of powder, the 338 SnipeTac is shooting a "moderate" load with only 140gr of powder. I had similar results when shooting a 300 RUM from a 19" barrel and a 6.5 Badger (6.5x338 RUM Improved) from a 19" barrel.

Here's the 7# scoped 19" 300 RUM with a 180gr Accubond at 3100 fps. The flash is there but it's wouldn't be blinding by any means. A different powder would help with that. Recoil is nothing, the guy shooting has arthritis so bad a 357 magnum is painful for him.

Sometimes the numbers on paper and the actual results from the folks doing it don't match up.

That's not low light conditions and I'm sorry but you just can't beat the physics. Powder burning in the air flashes and the more there is the bigger the flash. It also dramatically increases the recoil because of the "rocket motor effect" mentioned earlier.

In a short barreled light mountain rifle that adds up to a punishing recoil and excessive muzzle flash, it's unavoidable.

Have you considered the Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed? The 300wsm has a 23" barrel, and is under 7lbs. I've never shot an x-bolt, but everyone I've talked to that has one loves them. 30 calibers are hard to beat for versatility in bullet selection.

If I go 300 WSM I will be going with a Sako. There really is no comparison in quality, at least form a production rifle.

For the cost, I may just pick up a used XCR rem 700 and have the barrel cut. Put it in a wildcat stock and call it a day. The cost is just a little too much for me to go custom for a rifle that's going to see hard miles.

I am really shocked at the lack of muzzleflash from those rifles at low light.

Thanks everyone for the comments everybody.

Seeing you like the 338's I'd take a good look at the 338-06 A-Square. Nosler makes factory ammo for it, not shore who all chambers it in rifles. Another one to look at is the 35 Whelen, it has more factory loads available, and it shoots a lot flatter then it gets credit for. It's my favorite.

5A68997B-39A9-4628-B0CD-F506F5A7FCA6.jpeg
5A68997B-39A9-4628-B0CD-F506F5A7FCA6.jpeg
Hi all. I am going to be buying another rifle soon. I would like something in a backpacking weight. I have a bit of a fondness for .338 cal rifles, which don't really go hand in hand with light or short.
I already have a .338 RUM that is 9.5 lbs and a 18 lbs Lapua, with a 26"+brake and a 28" +brake barrel. I want something a little handier and lighter for backpacking. I have a pretty stiff set of requirements though.
-60* bolt throw
-detachable mag
-factory ammo available
-under 7lbs
I would love to build a 24" Lapua, which I think would be a great trade off in ballistics for 2" of barrel, but Weatherby doesn't have a detachable mag for the Mark V and Sako 75 and 85's are to small for the round.
Does anyone have any ideas? The obvious answer is to go to a 300WSM or .338WIN in a tikka or Sako and forget the rest. I just love fast .338's

Thanks in advance
Hi myself and my Dont tristen own Straight Jacket Armory in Evanston Wyoming. We specialize in building sub 7 pound long range hunting rifles. We have a packlite model I think would work very well for what your looking for, we use a Titanium Crux Action (73deg bolt throw) proof research barrels And a 28oz Carbon Fiber stocks and Bix and Andy triggers. We offer these rifles in full turn key packages including glass rangefinders pelican case Suppresors etc also, load work done and Ammo brown match.
Here is a picture of the titanium Packlite rifle and the 100 yard test target of the first 10 rounds on the barrel.
You can give us a call tomorrow at the shop
307-707-3181
Thanks

Attachments

• 3BB65249-66A2-4413-B607-58461FD441D7.jpeg
    3BB65249-66A2-4413-B607-58461FD441D7.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 245
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.