22" barrel or less unbraked mountain rifle

I, too, am a .338 fan. I presently have a 338 Win Mag, a .338-06 and my wife shoots a .338 Federal and we hunt in Northern BC as well. As far as efficiency is concerned the 338-06 is amazing in what it will accomplish, pushing a 180 grain bullet out of the muzzle at 3000 fps. Second only to that is the 338 Federal. My wife's Tikka T3 pushes a 160 grain Barnes TTSX also to 3000 fps and a 180 grain over 2800 without serious recoil problems. My wife is a small lady and a senior citizen (as am I) and she has no fear of this particular rifle. She has taken both deer and elk with these loads.

If I was to be restricted to just one of them it would be the 338 Win Mag. I have owned and shot a number of them and they are capable of excellent accuracy and manageable recoil. I did put a muzzle brake on one and as far as I am concerned that was a mistake. The noise and extra length wasn't worth the evident recoil reduction. Recently, I had a Tikka T3x stainless in my hands in this caliber and I told the dealer I liked everything about it except the stock. I preferred the laminated stock because it is easier to adjust the length and re-pad, and it absorbs more recoil. He said he could swap one on for me and I may just end up with that rifle.

Angus, how far are you looking to shoot? Since you are in Canada, are you familiar with the 9.3x62?

Lots of rifles around (tikkas CZ and trade-ex) and ammo is surprisingly easy to find. I've not yet hand loaded for one, but factory rounds are quite pleasant to shoot compared to a 338 WM. Lots of bullet selection. Data I've seen suggests 60gr powder + 250gr bullet = 2650fps

Not far off 338 WM ballistics, and a whole lot less powder burned.

I'm not a fan of hunting with a muzzle brake either. The blast is just too great. Personally I think short carbines have their place (in camp or on a horse for example). I don't find myself hunting with a barrel shorter that 22" very often. Same reason, the blast and the flash can really mess with my senses.

That's not low light conditions and I'm sorry but you just can't beat the physics. Powder burning in the air flashes and the more there is the bigger the flash. It also dramatically increases the recoil because of the "rocket motor effect" mentioned earlier.

In a short barreled light mountain rifle that adds up to a punishing recoil and excessive muzzle flash, it's unavoidable.

Took me a couple days to get the video made, but here you go. Apples to apples comparison of 20" barreled and 30" barreled guns shooting the same load under the same circumstances. This is a very extreme example using a load with 140gr of powder.

The recoil and flash are very manageable in both platforms. The pistol weighs 22.3# ready to shoot and the rifle weighs 21.8# ready to shoot. Most 16" barreled ARs have more flash than either one of the guns in the video and I don't think too many people get hung up on the muzzle flash in those guns.

You can't beat physics, but you can manipulate it to your advantage. ;)

edit: I don't intend for this to be a jab at you Wildrose, I just thought I'd give a real world example of the effects of a short barrel since I spend most of my time working with mid to large capacity cases in 18-20" barrels.

I have a 338 RCM in a 19 in barrel, I'm not bothered by muzzle flash--it does have a brake though. I'm shooting 215 grain game kings out of it. I also have a lite 33 Nosler and one slightly heavier on. I can shoot the light one without the brake but do t like to my RCM is 8.7lb scoped--and can get rank unbraked...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.